Fuel Optimal Temperature At Injector?

• Member For: 11y 26d

Has anyone got some info or put some thought into fuel temperature just prior to injection into cyclinder? I noticed that my pcw dual surge tank was pretty damn hot after a short run or 20mins to get my car up on a hoist. Its was a fairly hot summer day and there was no problem with the car.

It just got me thinking. Is the engine performing best when the fuel is close to its combustion point as in for my experience it is in a coal fired power station furnace? Or will this higher temperature hinder the lower air intake we all look for with running E85.....

Thoughts?

• Member For: 18y 6m 2d

Has anyone got some info or put some thought into fuel temperature just prior to injection into cyclinder? I noticed that my pcw dual surge tank was pretty damn hot after a short run or 20mins to get my car up on a hoist. Its was a fairly hot summer day and there was no problem with the car.

It just got me thinking. Is the engine performing best when the fuel is close to its combustion point as in for my experience it is in a coal fired power station furnace? Or will this higher temperature hinder the lower air intake we all look for with running E85.....

Thoughts?

Correct.

Something that we have been trying to educate for a long time is, the importance of cool dense fuel for maximum performance.

High fuel temperatures are detrimental to optimum performance. This is why manufactures strive to create systems that run fuel cooler.

To run a surge tank system , especially close to engine and exhaust is prime candidate for heating fuel. KPM have engineered direct replacemant fuel pump systems to be housed intank as OEM that deliver cool fresh fuel up to 1000HP quitely , efficiantly, safely without any hassle of external tanks.

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 9m 23d

Fuel is an ungodly tempretrure as it sits in a tank on a hot day. I took the pump out of my EL on a 38c day, fuel burnt my hands. I couldn't believe the temp. If you wanted to do something, you'd want to get some sort of liquid to liquid cooler back to the rail. I say an exchanger setup as it's probably not wise to mod the rail infront of the rad if there is a crash

• Member For: 17y 10m 28d

how about rather than trying to paint the petrol black, which is a stupid idea, why not run it on black petrol? or isn't coca cola black? or Jim Beam and coke cause we know race cars run on alcohol

• Like 1

• Member For: 11y 26d

Fuel is an ungodly tempretrure as it sits in a tank on a hot day. I took the pump out of my EL on a 38c day, fuel burnt my hands. I couldn't believe the temp. If you wanted to do something, you'd want to get some sort of liquid to liquid cooler back to the rail. I say an exchanger setup as it's probably not wise to mod the rail infront of the rad if there is a crash

Looked all over the net but no luck. Found an interesting study comparing pump 98 to E85 but more inregards to IAT, timing, knocking and pinging. It was an indepth study but the fuel was kept at an average ambient temperature.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdspace.mit.edu%2Fbitstream%2Fhandle%2F1721.1%2F59952%2F676953430.pdf&ei=ZYMRU7PaFce5lAX8tYHYCA&usg=AFQjCNGoUbwWCbaXkcdiwv-ivpeAG-uzCg

Edited by Adamfiza80

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 9m 23d

To put it in perspective, F1 teams used to have chilled fuel bowsers to put fuel in the cars. They did it as the cooler the fuel was the denser it became - eg more fuel in a smaller area.

There was probably an advantage injecting the fuel that hard in to the cylinders it doesnt matter about atomisation. However for a normal road car, atomisation of the fuel is more critical for a more homoginious combustion. Honestly, if my last name was Senna, I'd worry about fuel temp. For all other purposes, maybe not

• Like 1