Siphoning Trick. Don't Like The Taste Of Petrol ?

Boganspeed

• Will do skids for food
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 5m 20d

I'm in the shed today draining some fuel and it occurred to me that it might be good to share this super simple tip for anyone siphoning fuel that has access to compressed air.

I semi regularly have to remove fuel tanks from my bikes, two of them have aftermarket fuel pumps installed with plates and fittings under the tank for fuel suction and return.

So when I remove the tanks, I drain the fuel so that I don't spill the sh*t everywhere.

This bike is being torn down for a revamp and to hopefully step it up to Group Two racing next season and has been using C16 and lately Roo16 which I need to drain out and I definately don't want a mouthful of it.

post-48538-0-82051500-1391324769_thumb.j

I've had poor results with those plastic hand pump siphon things and the old sticking the thumb over the end trick doesn't work when there's not much fuel in the tank.

So when I have to siphon fuel, I have a special hose on the shelf.

This hose has a small hole in one end so I can snugly insert an air blower into it.

post-48538-0-65085400-1391324980_thumb.j

Then with the other end in the fuel, I just give it a LIGHT squirt of air towards the fuel drum to create a low pressure in the hose which draws the fuel up and starts the siphoning process without my precious lips going anywhere near that nasty fuel!

You do need to realise that you are blowing air into the container so it will push fumes and if you're not carefull, some atomised fuel, back out.

But with safety glasses and a little caution, it's easy to get the hang of it.

This system is especially good if the fuel level is low and it keeps stopping as it's easy to get going again once you relocate the hose into the fuel.

So there you go, I hope this helps save someone from a gobfull of fuel one day.

Edited by Boganspeed
  • Like 2

• I see a red door and I want to paint it black
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 5m 30d

I use the same sort of thing at work, with 1" hose, as a vacuum cleaner. Works with water, oil, sand, grinding dust etc

• Im the one and only
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 17d

Biggest hose that I used to siphon with was around 100mm flexi hose.Boy once you got it going, you could refill a 747 in no time...

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m

Phil do you have a slightly modified version for those of us that love the taste of fuel, I'm looking for a more convenient way to kill my brain and lungs off early.

I think I can work backwards on what you've already posted but you seem to be full of tricks.

• Like 1

• I see a red door and I want to paint it black
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 5m 30d

Phil do you have a slightly modified version for those of us that love the taste of fuel, I'm looking for a more convenient way to kill my brain and lungs off early.

I think I can work backwards on what you've already posted but you seem to be full of tricks.

empty jar and a piece of rope does the trick