Hot Dogs In Your Exhaust

genebaby

• Abuser of Charvels
  • Member For: 20y 4m 13d

I know some of you Turbo guys remove your centre muffler and install a couple of hot dogs. What is the purpose of the hot dog? What are they and what do they do?

• I see red
  • Member For: 21y 4m 7d

Hot dogs have less back pressure than regular muffler and in theory should say no. I've heard of immediate gains when first doing it and then several weeks/months later the Ford ECU seems to 'learn' that a mod has been done and overcompensates and actually reduces the power to less than stock. Not sure if this actually applies when you have a Hotdog or this is only when there is no muffler at all. I have actually only heard the latter.

• It's All In Your Mind
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 5m 25d
I know some of you Turbo guys remove your centre muffler and install a couple of hot dogs. What is the purpose of the hot dog? What are they and what do they do?

:sick:

Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Not to an XR8, don't genebaby, just don't. :spit::sick:

• Moderating Team
  • Member For: 21y 2m 24d

The addition of hotdogs will also keep you legal.

If you remove a muffler and put straight thru pipes on, the mod is defectable (I remember plonky saying this somewhere).

However, if you put 1 or more hotdogs on in place of the factory muffler, it stays all nice and legal. :spit:

• Abuser of Charvels
  • Member For: 20y 4m 13d

Ok, I have been told a hot dog is like a resonator. The reason I was wondering is that I removed the rear muffler of my XR8 for a better not (which it got) and removing some back pressure can't hurt, can it?

Well, I think it did and I discussed it with someone on the weekend who put his car on the dyno and knew he had lost power and fixed it with two hot dogs.

It is getting done tomorrow. The other guys exhaust still sounded pretty cool and the original performance is back.

What is it with these cars and their love of back pressure? Welcome to the future. ;)

• I see red
  • Member For: 21y 4m 7d
What is it with these cars and their love of back pressure? Welcome to the future. ;)

Most cars need a certain amount of backpressure to enable optimum performance.

Liken it to a garden hose vs a fire hose. If you connected up a 4" or so firehose to a garden tap there wouldn't be enough pressure to run it properly and the water would just dribble out the other end. By the same token if you connected a garden hose to a fire hydrant it would probably burst from the pressure. This would be like putting a 2" exhaust on a Top Fueller.

Turbos usually like a big free flowing exhaust but Ford seem to have done their homework with the standard system and it flows quite well and most repuatable tuning houses like APS, Herrods etc reckon there is no gain to be made in changing the exhaust on stock XR6T.