What To Get The Better Half ?

Spinning

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 9m 30d

Currently at looking at moving the better half into a new / near new car .. She has indicated that , like her daughter , would like/prefer to get away from a sports hatch (drove the Ford ST) and or sedan and feels happier driving a auto SUV ..

We have had a look at the Ford Kuga , Honda CR-V and Nissan Dualis .. The pick thus far is the Mazda CX-5 (love's the GT in diesel) , however , like the Toyota's - they 've excee , and the dealers know that they have the goods and are not as willing to discount compared to the others .. Other models of interest is the Jeep , however , I continue to have this feeling that they will end up costing us with either warranty issues and or fuel costs . Havent had a look at the Korean brands yet , although the Kia appears to offer heaps for the money they 're asking , and the dealers on the surface are willing to talk discounts .. What has caught your eye ? Welcome your thoughts and any suggestions . :wwww:

• Member For: 15y 4m 22d

Wife ended up with a Focus Titanium after looking at all this SUV stuff. I finally convinced her that if you want an SUV for what they are built for then get one. If not then don't get one. We looked at the ST. Bad seats for big people (like me) If you are listening out there Ford, they should have an option of the Titanium (or non Recaro) seats in the ST and they would have a winner. Or make a Titanium with the ST running gear. Car I would have bought her is the A250 Merc. Just a bit over our budget but what a very nice package. A45 is a real contender to the Mustang I have put my name down for. If you have kids or need lots of interior space then SUV is the way to go for sure. I would get the one that's nice to look at and that you will enjoy keeping it looking good. Probably rules out most of the Korean brands, but each to their own. You don't buy an SUV to do hot laps, unless your way above the budget you've mentioned in this group.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 9m 30d

I would prefer to purchase her a little hot hatch ...we no longer need to ferry the kids and their friends from one end of the spectrum to the other in a matter of hours .. so, I thought it would be nice to see her in something sporty ......She has always enjoyed the sporty look and feel - historically she has own large sedans with eights .. However , given the volume of driving she does with work and girlfirends .. I am not sure that a F6 and or VF SS is the right car ...

She has **never** been a fan of the hot hatch (Golf GTI and or WRX sedan - pity) , so it has been a struggle to get her to drive , let alone look at one .........Agree - the SUV are so popular , and you 're either at the BMW X5 end , or around the $40k+ mark for a nice SUV (just think of the damage you could do with that sort of money on Golf GTI and or Renault Megane ?) ..

I am interested in what others have purchased , and what regrets if any, if they had their time again .......

• 570Nm @1800rpm
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 3d

We went through the process of looking at the all the medium SUV 6 months ago and ended up buying a new Kuga.

Wife loves it and I must admit I don't mind it either, solid like all other euro fords we have owned and goes like the clappers and fuel efficient. We ended up getting a diesel Trend and compared to the CX-5, which was second preference, it was much better value in our case. Drive them all back to back, compare build quality and finish and it becomes obvious why some of cars in the same class are 5k more then others.

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 4m 16d

I recently traded in my wifes BMW 125 convertible for Volvo XC60 T6 R-design due to her needing a family car.

I hated the BMW, sure it handled well but the seat were uncomfortable, run flats are a piece of sh*t, sat nav was terrible, the list goes on!!

The Volvo on the other hand is an awesome car, its quick with 240-250kw it can move, its quiet, road noise is very minimal and has plenty of features. Other small SUV's we looked at were the Audi Q5 and Land Rover Evoque, both good cars but the Volvo suited our requirements better.

• Like 1

• Expert
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 1m 29d

I was going to say speak with corzza about a XC90 or XC60

I would like to get into either one in the future

Also don't mind the Land Rover Evoque

Edited by ANGEL#3

• Member For: 14y 10m 4d

One big consideration is the age of the people that are going to be using the car. If you have young kids that like to fall asleep in the car an suv is great for mums because they don't have to bend over to lift the little ones out when they get where they are going. Putting prams and shopping bags etc into a suv is also easy as the cargo area is around waist height. The height also makes entry and exit from the car easy for adults and the elderly (again due to the height) as you basically just slide stragiht in rather than having to lower yourself into a small hatch it sedan. <br /><br />Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk<br /><br />