Let The Fun Begin...

knaps

• Member For: 13y 6m 26d

As I mentioned in a topic in Turbo Workshop, my stock turbo is on its way out due to the impeller rubbing on turbo housing. It started becoming worse and worse and not sure if it's just because I actually know what to listen for now and am kinda paranoid about it, but I think I noticed a drop in power as well (especially before the boost is well on, but that's too late for anything that won't cost me losing my license...).

So! I think I made a decision. I was considering just replacing it and staying stock and even getting rid of the car and giving a V8 a shot. I actually took one for a test drive (Bogan special VF), but damn, I love my current car and turbo in general too much, so decided to get even more of the fun factor out of it and say hello to the mods!

The complete list of mods I'll be planning to do in the future will include:

-turbo upgrade

-injectors + valve springs

-high flow air filter

-intercooler

-exhaust

-fuel pump

-ECU

To start with, I think I'll go with turbo upgrade, injectors, air filter, cat, ECU and probably upgrading intercooler piping. New turbo will be the expensive part (but this needs to be done in my case), so I don't wanna spend too much money all at once, but definitely prepare myself to eventually do it all over time.

Is there anything else you would recommend I should start with / do differently based on what you've done or seen in the past?

Also, I'm quite torn up about turbos, not sure which one to go ahead. Heard a lot of good things about GTXs, but also heard that there are plenty other good ones that are as good (if not better), but less expensive... I guess that'd be a constant debate, but what do you reckon? With GTXs, I was first thinking GTX3576R vs GTX3582R, but leaning towards 76 - I'm not looking at huge power late, rather quick gains early on with a minimal lag.

Also, I should add, it's my daily car and I'm not looking for some huge power or to track/drag it, hoping for some manageable, low 300s if possible.

Anyway, that's the plan for after Christmas-New Years break, hopefully will be able to post an update about how is it all coming along soon!

• Like 1

• I see a red door and I want to paint it black
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 5m 29d

First round

gtx3576r

injectors + fuel pump - probably the bosch 725cc

valve springs

cooler and piping

venom bolt in cat

air filter

tune

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 23d

Before u do anything talk to the tuner of choice and ask him his thoughts as for one he may get better prices than u think and will also know what combos work and what is junk

Thank me later hahaha true story ;)

• Like 3

• Member For: 10y 8m 24d

Excuse my ignorance, I've noticed a slight grind sound that only happens when I'm on, 2500 rpm, and I've only heard it 2 or 3 times over a month period, could this be the turbo on its way out cars done 90k, cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 11y 10m 28d

GTX Turbos are good but from what I've heard the new precision bolt on turbo will make the same power as a GTX35 and come on boost faster.

GTX3576r is good for a responsive upgrade and more power, not many people have tried it though.

MTA750 from what people who have tried it will have the response and low down power of a factory turbo, while making much more power, about nearly 400rwkw.