Herrod Voltage Booster

XtRmn8

• 570Nm @1800rpm
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 27d

Anyone seen, heard of or even tried the new Herrod/JMS voltage booster on their Turbo Falcon?

They have released voltage booster modules for both ignition and fuel pumps. Ratter already posted some test results from a similar fuel pump voltage booster product in another thread and the results were all positive.

So far, some good results from the V8 camp with the ignition booster, 21rwkw gain on a tuned car from just fitting the voltage booster with no other changes.

Unmodified cars are also transformed apparently in power delivery, smoothness, idle quality and cruise fuel consumption due to being able to run a larger (1.0-1.1) plug gaps.

Herrod don't seem to have anything on their site yet, but here is a thread with all the info on AFF: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4929223

I would love to see some back to back test results, but from what I have read so far the ignition module transforms how the car feels to drive so might not be something they can show on the dyno that easily?

Will be interesting to see if any of the tuners have had a chance to play with these yet.

Cheers

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 24d

Ask Ralph about his booster thingamajig.

Far out, reading the AFF thread has me

Keens_Mustard_50g.jpg

Edited by -SteveR-
  • Like 2

• Member For: 21y 19d

I've used them over the years in both fuel pumps and ignition. I think they are great in a fuel pump setup. I plan on using one on my FG at 21 volts and with that new Walbro 400 pump it has been tested to flow 9litres per min at 21 volt.

It helps saturate the coil/s more quickly at high speed and hence you can run a bit more gap. But there are issues with overheating coils. I use to have to adjust the coil dwell time down on a programable ECU to keep coil temps down.

• Donating Members

Yeah he says use genuine coils and you'll have no dramas, 12 months testing them with no dead coils yet, seems promising. He really talks up the improvement in drivability, more than the power gain, at least for all but the 400rwkw+ guys. I'm very interested...at $695 it's out of immediate purchase range but one to put on the to do list (along with surge tank...)

• Donating Members

Yeah I'm going to talk to Simon at XFT about these, I saw what must have been one of the prototypes in there a couple months ago so he should have some experience with them and words to share. Would have to be mighty good to part with $700 right now though!

The benefit to fuel systems (second unit separate from coil on plug boost) over longer runs is great from what Herrod has posted, in terms of cars showing OK AFRs but not getting any fuel back into the tank at all via return line! On a 800m/1000m run you could go lean easily with decent power and basic pumps, this sounds like it would negate that risk just using a stock pump??