Help With Xr6 To Xr8 Conversion Please!

XRLENTFG

• Member For: 10y 6m 9d

Has anyone done this before? I know people have done plenty of XR6T conversions but I haven't seen an 8 conversion forum yet. Just curious if anything would need to be modified to fit the 8 engine in? Also upgrades to the overall car. Mine is a 2009 manual FG. I would sell and upgrade but as I got it through salary sacrifice it seems I am better off just getting another small loan to convert it to an 8 or T, whatever would be easiest and cheapest.

I would prefer to get a wreck and strip everything out, just to be on the safe side. If anyone knows of one as well let me know. I have mates who can help me install most if not everything that I should need. Cheers guys :)

• Member For: 17y 10m 1d

yeah do the 5.4 conversion add a few mods and go scare a lot of T's that think they are boat anchors ;)

seriously though the turbo conversion would be easier and if modding, easier to get power out of, but any conversion is going to cost you more than it's worth and possibly leave you in a legal loop hole re insurance and rego

• Like 1

• Member For: 14y 1m 22d

Im sure there not all bad but every 5.4 boss 260 I've been in was a piece of puss and that's 3 2 sedans and one ute the ute had a cold air intake and tune a growler I think and it would have been lucky to have been anywhere near my mates vy ss ute with just a tune so there not that good and they cost bulk to modify so whats the point?

• Member For: 10y 6m 9d

I am not interested in moding the car once it is done (well I am but I can't really). I own horses and need to tow a horse float so unfortunately I need to keep everything as standard as I can. Surely once the conversion is done I can simply get it re-regoed with the new details??? How else would everyone else do it? Not to mention all those people who turbo their standard rice burners and they have no trouble with rego or insurance?

I would sell, but with what my car is worth and the way those assholes work in salary sacrificing, after 2 years I now owe what I originally borrowed! So if I sell I am 11k down, and then need to get another car loan on top. And to top it off I am risking not even passing for another loan.. So, I am in a pickle! I would sit on this car but again need to upgrade for towing reasons and my car is decreasing rapidly in value the longer I have it with the Ks I am clocking as I live over an hour from work one way. So unless you can tell me that I REALLY shouldn't do it and why, help would be appreciated :)

And matsfgxr6turbo, that is what I thought so I planned on finding a whole wreck. Then I don't have to worry about individual parts and surely buying a whole car would be cheaper.

• Member For: 14y 1m 22d

if you want to tow just turbo your engine a nice low boost high compression engine will be perfect for towing get a stock fg turbo and it should be perfect bulk torque from super low rpm more than the boss engine and with half the cost/hassle involved with going v8.Turbos are designed to add torque which is what you want for towing.

• Like 1

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m

I think a turbo conversion is far better than a v8 conversion.

You're on a turbo forum, everybody is going to tell you to convert to turbo :P:3gears::turboboink:

Edited by johnxr6t
  • Like 1