Auto Vs Manual Fg F6

Gorillaguy

• Member For: 10y 7m 17d

ok. so I am in the market for a new fg f6 2010 or newer im looking for luxury but also POWER!! :dancing:

I am to achieve about 400 at the wheels, lower it, rims and then keep it basic

ive got a few questions just to ask to help get me up to speed with the FG's so when I go inspecting I can have a better understanding of the car and any hidden tricks.

im fairly handy on the tools im an apprentice diesel fitter so I have a basic to intermediate level of mechanical understanding. and always been around cars like the BA- BF falcons as my old man used to work at ford but other than that im new to the world of fast cars so bare with me. (my current car is a lifted patrol naturally aspirated)

1. auto or manual... why is there so many autos compared to manuals is there a problem with the manuals compared to the autos or the autos better at holding power etc etc

( I want a manual rather than auto but if you can convince me otherwise...)

2. ive done some light reading and seen there is a few pain in the ass problems with the diff bushes or something?

what else is there that you guys are finding problematic no matter how big or small im just after common issues so I can be aware when/if it happens to me

and specific models will help greatly!

so its my first post on this site and im still getting the hang of searching so by all means if there is other threads with this info on it please link me to it to save re-posting.

cheers in advance

• Moderating Team
  • Member For: 21y 2m 25d

Welcome to the forum!

Main reason you'll find is that there are so many auto's is the ZF box, and how good it is. Majority of quick falcons (when I say quick, I mean 400m) will be auto's, there are a handful of quick manual cars, but if you look at the FG top 50, the majority will be ZF auto's.

Man v auto is mainly a personal choice. Some swear by manual. If you ever intend on drag racing it, id be going auto. But if you want a manual, go for it.

The manual box will hold 400, the clutch might have other idea's, but you being in the trade, a clutch swap should be easy if it does start to slip.

ZF input shafts also hate life around the 4hunge, keep that one in mind.

Valve springs are another area you may need to have a butchers hook at, this applies to most models, not just FG. The earlier models have probs with oil pumps, as well as cam gears/timing chains jumping. And as you said, the good ol diff bush.

As you will be modifying, you must also understand that you are asking at least 50% more performance than the factory components are designed for.

Ask plenty of questions, do lots of research, and if something sounds dodgy, get a second opinion. I personally dont own a FG, ive got a dirty old BA, so if ive made a boo boo with any info above, im sure someone will bitchslap me, and post up correct info.

and always end your post with a cheers. lol

• Like 2

• Expert
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 1m 29d

Welcome mate,

so you're looking for luxury but also POWER then buy a G6ETurbo and with the money you save some from the difference you can start the mods, POWER, brakes, suspension and what every else you want to do.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 1m 19d

The reason so many people go the Auto is basically its faster.

Its a good box and definetly worth a test drive because although I have an auto almost every other auto car I drive makes me go mental.

The manuals can hold a heap more power than the autos once the clutch has been changed as ms700 said.

if you were ever looking to go fast in a straight line keep in mind that there are manual turbo falcons out there with over 700rwkw that could never beat a 500 rwkw auto.

There are a lot of days I wish I had a manual though and I also know people that went from Manual xr6t to auto and hated it.

• Moderating Team
  • Member For: 21y 2m 25d

that's another thing to remember - the dreaded ZF milkshake

The heat exchanger factory fitted to all ZF equipped cars is pooooooooooooo. If you go looking, check the coolant colour.

If you search milkshake, you will know what to look for.