Electric Window Switch Problem

BenDoCo

• I'm getten too old for this s**t
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 21d

Searching through this section, I found a couple of (very) old threads that sound correct but as I said, old (both from 2003) so was wondering if anyone could tell me if this would still be correct today....

As I was driving home after voting this arvo, my 2010 g6et decided that it wanted to wind the front drivers window down all by itself.

My first thought was, this damn car that I bought a few months back is haunted. Now a big breasted blonde ghost would be fine but anything else can :gtfo2:

When the window was fully down, it continued to make a tick-tick-tick sound as if the motor was still working - I don't know - sort of like slipping teeth or something.

I pulled over and hit the switch to close the window but as soon as I released it, down the window went again so I hit the switch (again) and once the window was up, I held the switch up for a while and when I let the switch go, OMG, the window stayed up.

I didn't muck around with it again until I got home where-upon I turned off the car, got out and locked it. When I unlocked it, the f'n window went down making the same tick-tick when it was fully opened as before, so I closed it once more (holding the switch again) and have taken the window relay out.

The two threads from 2003 both point to a Capacitor on the switch, which apparently was a known problem all those years ago and I'm guessing that the FG still uses the same (sort of) switch design as way back then so would it be this and would it be a safety thing that automatically opens the window when it fails?

If so, can you just replace the one switch with the Capacitor on it - drivers window switch - or do you have to buy the window switches as a complete system?

Thanks for the help.

• Member For: 10y 11m 7d

Not sure mate, however you can buy capacitors from jay car for very cheap. Try moving the switches around and see if the problem moves to a different window. If the problem does move then I imagine you could replace the dodgy switch.

Yeah that's a good idea...thnx

Is there an easy way to take the switch panel out or do you have to remove the entire door trim to get to it?

Rang my 'closest' Fraud service dept. this morning before I tackled taking it apart myself just to sound them out on it and - OMFG - never again......

So to finish this story off, just in case it ever happens to anyone else, I'll give you a run-down of what was wrong.

Remembering that the window relay is already out, remove the rubber insert from the grab handle in the arm rest. There are 3 tabs that sit in the handle at the top inside (I used a small screw driver to flick them out.

sisNGCU.jpg

In the bottom of the grab handle is a Tork screw so I had to go to the local car shop to buy a set ($58) which use a 1/2 inch drive and because of what I've learnt in the forum, you always use the right tool for the job (when you can)

HL1SnuW.jpg

Again using a screw driver, I levered up the window/mirror assay from the bottom - up because at the very top of the unit (under the mirror 'L') is a moulded clip that sits under the arm rest panel. A bit tricky to get out because of the 1 clip on the side but once that 1 is free, slide the unit down a bit and it is out.

mJAmMHo.jpg

Once it's all out, this is what you'll see

9o5k9vX.jpg

Just squeeze the white electrical plug on the sides and pull but the smaller black plug (mirror control) has a clip half way down so out comes the screw driver again.

An extra hand here would have been good - holding unit, screw driver and camera was a bit hard..

Find the clip, push the s/c in and pull the plug out.

uZe5FMA.jpg

Now the unit is sitting on the table, unclip the white cover (2 clips either side) and lift it off.

NbSbZ6X.jpg

And this is what you will see on the inside, Notice all the black marks on the little silver terminals.....before putting it all back together I gave them a scrape with my finger nail to make sure that there wasn't any loose crap on them.

nhyJpM8.jpg

So now it's all apart.... Rocker Terminals on the left, Board and container.

xT0W5AC.jpg

The Rockers (2 each window an 1 for rear window lock) were very easy to put back in place whilst the board was sitting on the table and then carefully put the unit cover over the top and push down until it all clips back together....test the switches to ensure they all push down/lift up and then all you have to do is work backwards and put it all back together making sure that the last thing you do is replace the relay.

nHvYh5b.jpg

So that's it, if you ever have to take the electric window unit out of an FG arm rest, it's pretty simple to do.

Oh I almost forgot to tell you what the problem with mine ended up being..

As soon as I lifted the unit out of the arm rest, I heard a rattle and knew immediately that it was one of the Rockers that had become dislodged and was shorting out the drivers window. ggggrrrrrrrrrrrr

Oh well, such an easy fix

• Like 2

and only cost me 58 bills Steve -- even better

• Like 1

• Member For: 16y 6m 23d

I had mine apart a little while ago a found one of the rockers bent causing a window to not work some times. I just straightened it and cleaned all a terminals and put it back together! works a treat.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • Member For: 10y 24d

That was a very helpful post put up by PlatinumPM about how to access the driver door switch set. Will save people at lot of

trouble and time to fix what appears to be a common problem. Doggy supplier of electrical parts to Ford.

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 3m 27d

PLatinumPM??? who is this guy??

sorry I think you mean BenDoCo!!!!

Thanks for sharing as now I know what to look for......

• Like 1