Must Read All Ute Owners - Ford Leaf Springs

tasvalowna

• Member For: 12y 11m 8d

Heres a little story about my ute purchases .

I own a business that has 2 xr6 utes , 1 turbo , 1 not.

I drive the turbo , its 18 months old andwhen new I removed the tub and fitted a flat tray with a canopy/tool box . I also bought a 1 tonne rated leaf spring pack from King springs , and its all good . No sagging and a good ride , it carries about 600kg constant.

Ok about a month ago I take delivery of a NA xr6 which I ordered with the optional 1 tonne suspension package comprising of 16'' rated wheels and upgraded springs.

Fair enough I thought , this will save me changing the springs over , extra $500

The ute arrives and I look at the springs , they look standard and sure enough when we fit the tray and canopy , it sags in the back and is mushy to drive .

I ring the dealership and ask them to double check the build sheet and make sure the springs were fitted , no problems all fitted ok.a week later I ring back and say , im not happy with these springs .What can we do ?

they ask for the part number off the 1 tonne spring which is painted on , I gave it to them and they check-all ok

Then I remember ive still got the 500kg rated spring at home , check the part number .....same spring!

then I advise them of this and engineering from ford has gotten back to them and said its likely both utes have the same spring , its the shock absorber that makes the extra load rating!!!!!!!! bollocks I say , its a damper , not a load carryer !

by this time im getting pissy , and demand something is done . We take the ute back down to get all the VIN numbers taken down.

Then today I get this story , that it looks like my XR turbo has accidently had the 1 tonne package fitted at the factory , that's why they are the same .

I said that's a crock of sh*t , my after market leaves have 2 extra leafs in them and they are 1 tonne rated , the others are NOT.

I asked if they even have different springs or all you get for your 1 tonne rating is a sticker on the tail gate !

anyone else know anything about this?

Ben

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 6m 9d

Not related to the later Falcons, but had an issue years ago with a 1 ton Falcon van. It sagged with 300kg in it. Ford didnt want to know about it, we ended up getting our local spring maker to beef up the rear springs to suit.

If you want to cart a "genuine" 1 ton, only vehicles are US F trucks, Chevs, and Dodge Rams IMHO.

im not looking at carrying a full tonne , all I wanted was the factory springs to be able to carry the constant load of about 600kg .

How can a ute that's rated at 500 kg and one that's rated to 1 tonne have the same spring fitted ?

• Member For: 11y 7m 5d

I carry 1.2t constant in my fg turbo when it was first loaded up on the ford "1t" springs it wore the mud flaps off driving to pedders. They had the original springs reset 3 inches higher and installed 3 extra leafs with heavy duty shocks ($1200) it now sits at factory height loaded. Have had 1.5t in the back when I drove from Sydney to kalgoorlie and back 6600km never had a problem. Shows what needs to be done to carry a proper load.

• 2 weeks later...
Had a call from ford engineering today.
Apparently despite all the other guff ive been told , ford only has 1 set of leaf springs that they use .
What the 1 tonne option consists of it 3 flat bar packers about 80mm x 80mm under each side spring that give extra clearance ....that's it !
So I said to the poor dill on the phone , so I paid $500 for $1.50 worth of flat bar, your fkn kidding !
he said he will be sending a letter to clarify the 1 tonne thing , and I said you do that but I will still be complaining because that's as weak as piss.
ford australia , we're moving with you ...........ha friggin ha
  • Like 1