The " Fluid Change "

JETURBO

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

Okey doke lads from vevapower's thread on mainlube it kicked me into gear to do a full fluid change today

Going the nulon path and gulf western for zf

UM3Kahh.jpg

So first up put in the nulon old engine oil flush for 15min and then droped the engine oil and filter and replaced with a motorcraft oil filter and nulon 15/40 "orange" bottle semi syn oil $35 for 5ltrs and $15 for filter

TKzNtt7.jpg

Then droped the diff oil, now I only had done the diff oil close to 20,000kms ago so I was supprised to see it coming out " nearly " as clean as new ( no piks sorry ). So fill time and I used the "gold" bottle nulon diff oil 80/140 this has a recomendation for FPV on the label

She took close to 2ltrs to complete fill the 4ltr bottle was $99.95

Next up I replaced the peterol filter with a "genuine ford item" $24

Then I replaced the plugs for some new "genuine" ford items @ $6ea I did gap mine down to 0.7mm due to my boost level ( 22psi )

Wile I was there I cleaned the throttle boddie

Next up was the coolant Nulon gear again and on special at $17.95 for 5ltrs,so after pulling the drain plug and getting a face full of boiling coolant I flushed it all with tap water to clear out all my old red coolant

Complete fill took about 8ltrs

Ok here is where the fun starts with the zf

First up I had done a full flush with 17ltrs at 120,000kms and in that time ive run it through a furious external cooler kit and I have also run my 10 sec pass, gone to melb, done multiple dyno runs and also clocked up 40,000kms approx

So now on 160,000kms I thought its time to service her again

So 20ltrs of gulf western oil ( for zf ) syn trans $256rrp but got it for $220

And a filter and gaskit kit for $80

y9WIXxw.jpg

To say I was shocked was an understatement !!

Dropped the pan to find cherry red oil seeping out untill it was all drained, now I know this is no technical way of gauging oil but I was expecting something like what the ford zf oil looked like when I serviced that to be honest ( black and burnt ) but nup this was as good as the day it went in, truely in great shape for oil that's been imho "hammered" for 40,000kms

This is what it looked like

eFUBHBZ.jpg

Now I honestly reckn that this g/w zf oil is best bang for buck by a mile all my WOT shifts are flawless and precice and partial throttle changes are sharp and firm ( zf tune aswell )

Anywhoo after all said and done the car drives like new prolly better than new tbh really happy with the out come and out lay

Total I spent $550 for everything and have enough left over for another two zf services and another diff and coolant change so not bad imho

Cheers

• Like 6

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 2d

Good stuff.

I'm very happy with the Nulon engine oil I use. I can't bring myself to use anything other than genuine ZF oil for the trans though. Too many bad stories.

I wouldn't expect the diff or trans oil to be very black. It's more about the material the oil will collect as the diff and trans wears than the colour. Engine oil just goes black because of the combustion process.

Did you have any trouble getting the fuel filter undone? They can be a real bit*h sometimes.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 5m 9d

Good job J@!

I'm going to go through this process when I get my tune in a few months.

Do you recommend a full flush for the first zf service or shouldn't make a big difference. My tuner said they'll just use 8 litres of oil on the zf

• Gold Donating Members

I did a full service/flush at 120kms and highly recomend it as now 40kms later its paid off as the oil is still in tip top shape

If your zf has never been flushed and over 100,000 its a must

As I said my F6 is on 160,000kms and its mechanically as new

And just to show ill post up a dyno graph next week ( running her on a mainline on wed ) and expect no less than 400rwkw ( reff to my tuning thread )

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 20d

Lol, that last pic reminds me of the ZF service I did. So damn messy without a drain plug. Gotta be happy with the colour of that trans oil, looks practically new.

You have a pretty nice setup for doing services too, very neat.

• Gold Donating Members

Ter80d that's bloosteds shed and he gets a big thanks as he lets me use all his gear like its my own, so big shout out to that gimp

And shp we were wondering why we didnt fit a drain plug last time we had the pan out but with two people and the high lift drain sump on wheels its not to bad

• Like 1

• Member For: 12y 3m 15d

Fuel filters - I found that a product called Inox sprayed around the threads and left for 30 mins makes them easy to remove with good C spanners.

J@SNOT - is there a drain plug for coolant on the block? I did not find one.

(Yeah and just a bit jealous of the hoist - it is such an a/hole of a job doing fluids laying on the driveway.....)