Recommended Tuner / Workshop Act

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 3m 10d

Yeah I'd want more than 2 hrs. $900/120 is 7.5 hrs, seems like a long time but yeah law of averages maybe, but definitely way more than 2 hrs. Too many variables to deal with during a tune, some cars would respond well others not so well.

• Member For: 11y 2m 19d

It comes down to what you want out of mods and a tune, and the responsibility is on the consumer to put in the leg work.

Decide what you want out of the car, look at what others have done and what thier results are (forum sigs are a good startying point), then talk to two or three tuning shops [that you've heard good things about] and decide who you want to give your hard earned dollars to based on what they say, and thier known results. These days it is pretty easy to get a grasp of who does what work, between discussion forums, Facebook, and You Tube.

It's just a matter of knowing what you want out of the car first. Having a target and purpose for the vehicle in mind certainly helps the tuner give you an idea what needs doing to attain those targets. It will also tell them if what you want is unpractical or unobtainable for the amount you want to spend.

Research.....then talk to two or three shops PERSONALLY by going in there.....and if not prepared to listen to what they have to say (because it may not be what you want to hear), don't waste their time or yours.

Edited by Quasi XR6T
  • Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 6m

I agree Quasi and I'm not so much whinging otherwise I wouldn't be going to Gentech, the guys have been great to me so far and the car isn't even done yet.

And I think you're missing my point a bit Mick. I just don't quite understand how some tuners can do it for $500 (500/120 = 4ish hours). That sounds about right doesn't it for most cars? A solid 4 hours on the dyno? Who knows, my car may be on the dyno for 8 hours and then yea fair enough, but what if its only on there for 4 or 5? Is that them trying to even it out when they get a sh*t car that needs a heap of time ie 10+ hours or what? I'm just trying to find the justification in the price that's all

• Member For: 11y 2m 19d

I agree Quasi and I'm not so much whinging otherwise I wouldn't be going to Gentech, the guys have been great to me so far and the car isn't even done yet.

I didn't think you were mate, none of that was aimed at you. It was just a general post. :blind:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 6m

many cars exceed 6 hrs, some shops sell there dyno time at $150-$200 hr, every business has different overheads

Fair enough then

I didn't think you were mate, none of that was aimed at you. It was just a general post. :blind:

All good mate, didn't think it was. Just wanted to make sure people didn't think I was having a big rant and then went to them lol. I'm paying for convenience and reputation :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 15y 8m 23d

Hi gents its not actually for my XR6T but my other money pitt Jeep, but you guys seem to know who around town does decent work.

I need to get some custom brake hard lines down and a full fluid flush for brakes on a Jeep. Most brake shops these days run away from doing real work and just want to replace standard parts. Any recommendations of good workshops that are happy to do custom work without charging like a wounded bull ? Prefer over Gungahlin way but anywhere around ACT if they are good

• Member For: 14y 8m 9d

It's in Fyshwick but ABS did a good job at replacing a bunch of lines for another car I have a while back.

Gave them the car kept to the quote and no bullsh*t in between.

Unsure if they've changed at all.

• 2 weeks later...