jim985

Bf Ignition Barrel Problem - Need Help

The only wiring that is different is the stuff that is connected to the back of the ignition barrel. That harness consists of the wires connected to the black plastic disk on the ignition switch and the green plug for the PATS the small white plug that is pictured above on one end. With a much larger white plug with a spring loaded catch on the opposite end.

Everything else was from the original column.

I tried plugging my X3 in and it would couldn't load a tune because I could not unlock the ECU.

Edited by jim985

The wrecker I went to specializes in Falcons and knew that a BA column would not be compatible. He confirmed it was from a BF. Next to each other the two parts seem identical, and all the old wires fit into the same spots on the new column.When I asked him for a steering column he said "ignition playing up is it?" so I am guessing he gave me the correct part. I even took my old one in to make sure they were the same.

I also checked the battery charge 12.5V

I reckon the the next issue I am going to have is trying to get the car on a tow truck from where it is parked.

Voltage means bugger all, put a load on it and the voltage may all but disappear, easiest way is get a jump battery on and try, are u getting any igniton power at all? Checked for blown fuses etc?

when we order the columns from ford, they need to know the vin to match the correct column as there are different ones for the same model car

I will pull the column back out and carefully check the wires that came with it. I guess I could splice in the original wires, except for the ones connected to the ignition.

I will charge the battery and check the fuses also. Hope this works.

Thanks for all the help guys.

G,day all.I am new to all this so please excuse my noobness.Stupid question, but why doesn,t anyone just put their ignition switch back together instead of buying a whole new/secondhand column.My BA11 switch failed - started by intermitant no start and wipers and a/c not working.Then the ass fell out of the ignition switch. I just put switch back together and redid the factory 4 crimps around the end of the plastic bit where the wires connect.Put some epoxy over it for good measure though.

Hi everyone,

So Ive done as much reading as possible on this problem however Im stuck. My key would not spring back into the acc position after starting and I had to manualy do it myself. I decided to attempt to fix it myself however after removing the ignition switch and the key barrel, the part that sits behind it or mates with the barrel is stuck in a postion where it will not rotate and so I cannot align my key barrel during re assemble. Can anyone tell me how to remove this or fix this? Ps reference link for the picture.

Edited by Qvas
Added info

U can u buy a kit now u no longer have to remove the column 

Bloke in Dandenong auto elec advises on his add will come out to u 360 I think takes an hour he pulls the barrel out anhas a special tool and replaces it somehow much cheaper than full Colombo fit 

if he comes to you, it doesn't sound like a kit... :stirthepot:

anyway... did you use this service? or just talking about it?

and :Welcome2FordXR6t:

So initially I thought it was my key barrel however learned that it was my ignition switch like most peoples but by the time I figured it out I had already removed my key barrel causing a saftey mechanisim within the column to engage and therefor you cannot reinstall the key barrel without resetting it. Lock smith came out today and drilled a hole underneath it to reset it. All fixed now.