Bf Ignition Barrel Problem - Need Help

jim985

• Member For: 14y 11m 22d

Ok so I have swapped over the Key barrel and the PATS circuit board onto a replacement column I got from the wreckers.

Plugged it all in and bolted it back together but car still wont start.

The key seems to function normally now, with the right clicks etc, but the car doesnt do anything at all when the key is turned.

The ICC screen says Security code error.

I was under the impression that I this wouldn't happen if I used my original key, barrel and PATS board.

Is there anything I can do or will I have to get it towed to ford after all?

I have an X3 flash tuner if that makes any difference?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 1d

Cycle the key a few times, disconnect the battery for 10 min, make sure battery isnt flat, if none of that works it maybe ford time... It shouldnt happen if all youve replaced is the bare column, did u remember to plug the pats reciever in?

Yeah I am sure it is all plugged in. I have the battery disconnected at the moment. I will try the key thing too. I assume I cycle the key with the battery connected.

The only thing that was not connected was one white plug on the passenger side of the column, which I can't see any other plug for. It is part of the ignition switch loom. The repair manual I was using shows pics of it not connected at all, so I assume it is for column gear shifts or something.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by jim985

The only wiring that is different is the stuff that is connected to the back of the ignition barrel. That harness consists of the wires connected to the black plastic disk on the ignition switch and the green plug for the PATS the small white plug that is pictured above on one end. With a much larger white plug with a spring loaded catch on the opposite end.

Everything else was from the original column.

I tried plugging my X3 in and it would couldn't load a tune because I could not unlock the ECU.

Edited by jim985

The wrecker I went to specializes in Falcons and knew that a BA column would not be compatible. He confirmed it was from a BF. Next to each other the two parts seem identical, and all the old wires fit into the same spots on the new column.When I asked him for a steering column he said "ignition playing up is it?" so I am guessing he gave me the correct part. I even took my old one in to make sure they were the same.

I also checked the battery charge 12.5V

I reckon the the next issue I am going to have is trying to get the car on a tow truck from where it is parked.