Wtf Is This Rattle. It Sounds Luke A Mecklenburg Truck Idling.

a2z

• Member For: 14y 9m 28d

I have to say I have no idea at all what his awful rattle cold be. I have had the gearbox out and there is no issues with the box. Clutch appears to be in good condition and secure. The throw out bearing seems to be fine. When it starts it just chunks like all hell. At idle it clunks rattles and knocks. If it is roll overy noise it would be about the worst you'd ever hear. The noise goes when th revs are lifted and stays away at about 1500/2000rpm but if you lift them to 1000 it goes momentarily then starts again. I'm really scratching my head over this one. When driven the powers there and changes gear well. It's just noise. You'd hear it 50+metres away. Any ideas?

Edited by a2z

• Member For: 11y 4m 10d

I had the same sort of trouble on my xr6 sedan (before it got written off). Really loud crunching noise, rattle and when aircon was on the noise could be heard from a mile away. When I put sny kind of pressure on the clutch it got a bit better.

It turned out to be the big end bearing and it caused a fark load of damage to the engine. Ford did not want to replace it due to them saying wear and tear but the car had only done 15,000k on it. Ended up going to department of fair trading and Ray Hadley (I worked in media at that time so pulled a few strings). The pricks at Sinclair Ford were really really bad and to this day still have not gone back to them.

They replaced the entire engine with a brand new one.

Might not be the same but just a thought.

• Like 1

Really? I have no crunching noise but it definitely sound like its around the bell housing. I am hoping its not the big end bearing but it sound like sh*t when you even just touch the start button and it turns two or three times before it starts.

engine sounds fine when idling with clutch in. sound seems to go when driving and still and revs as smooth as ever. it just knocks and rattles and clunks while at idle. as soon as I touch the accelerator it runs smooth.

I am really hoping it isn't. The noise came on all of a sudden. I have also noticed a crack in the weld of the flange of my dump pipe and turbo. I'm wondering if this could be throwinf the engine idle out of balance. or if the cat could of btoken down somehow and cause the same sort of harmonic distortion to the engine causing excessive roll over noise.