Black Goo Using E85

CCCC

• miso xr6
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 4m 10d

Hi guys I thought id let use know after using e85 consistently for about 10thousand kays I developed a misfire after wot an a few lean outs at wot, anyways the problem to me seemed to be something to do with fuel presure.

So I went on to do a bit of diagnosing, first thing I noticed was when the motor was cold it had a fuel leak right at the return line of the surge tank but when the car was warmed up the leak was not there anymore.

I found it odd an strange but I came to conclusion that while the idle was up on cold start the fuel pressure would have been also which would have been why it was leaking.

I decided to pull out the whole surge tank set up out and the fuel rail as well, the first thing I noticed was all the efi lines that were connected to the surge tank was all cracked, these were the only lines that was not e85 compatible.

I knew that I should have changed while I did the other lines that were e85 compatible that goes from pump to rail.

So I went on to check the fuel rail an I couldn't believe what I saw, I had a long strand of rubber hose jammed in my fuel rail, I couldn't believe what the e85 did to that hose lol just completely ate it away, anyways cleaned it all out an an went on to check my injectors out to see if they were all right.

I started pulling all the baskets out to see if they had caught any debris but it all seemed fine an I went on to change the baskets aswell.

I now went on to give the injectors a clean an I noticed a massive amount of black goo stuck on the pintle part of the injector(the part were it sprays the fuel out) the goo was hard to get off but I managed to get it as clean as brand new

I reckon that goo would have had an affect on spray pattern because some of it was stuck on it real hard, apparently that black goo on injectors seem to be common after doing a bit of research on the net.

People seem to think that it may be the additives that they throw in the fuel. Well I've changed all my fuel lines now to a new version of Gates Barridgate Greenshield E100 compatible fuel line cleaned out injectors an rail an now my car is running perfect, hopefully fuel lines hold up if not then I'll be going straight for Teflon lines an Speed Flow fittings.

Well I hope this may help anyone that seems to think that they may have a similar problem, but I urge for people that may still have some efi hose in the system while using e85 to check on them an replace them.

Edited by Ralph Wiggum
  • Like 1

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 27d

Edited to make it touch easier to read.

Thanks for sharing. I would still suggest getting the Injectors professionally cleaned and Flow checked after the amount of Goo that would have gone through them.

• Like 1

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 19d

Good share bud

E85 is a bloody good cleaner of the entire fuel system so filters and good quality hoses are always a must,but to my knowledge this is the first serious case I have heard of

Generally speaking e85 and the falcon have been a good combo all round

• Like 1

• miso xr6
  • Donating Members

I only use united e85 because they seem to more consistant then caltex eflex, they both use anticorrosives, lot of people in the industry seem to think that this black goo substance that builds up on the injectors are either coming from the anticorrosives, or octane boosters in there pump fuel mix.

Edited by CCCC

• miso xr6
  • Donating Members

If you guys do a google search on black goo after using e85 you will see that this is a very common problem all over the world, I wish I had pics of my injectors to show you guys what I mean, but doing a google search will show you exactly the problem I had.

Edited by CCCC

• Member For: 11y 7m 6d

Been using e85 for 18 months in my evo. Never had an issue.

Falcon has only just clocked 1000ks since rebuild on E85. Will be keepin a close eye. Cheers for info