Heavy Clunk R/h Side Front.

Falky100

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 5m 13d

Really sorry that this topic has been sort of done to death, but here goes.

Just arrived on holidays for the weekend and have a heavy clunk coming from front right of car when I go over a speed hump or a few good bumps on the road. Doesnt seem to make much of a noise when I hit the speed hump square on, but if I hit it on an angle *clunk, clunk!*. A good way to describe the noise is a loose towball sort of noise when towing a trailer, and is just as loud too. The sway bar bushes seem to look tight from just a visual inspection, from what I have read on the forum it is eather ball joint, steering rack, engine mount or sway bar. I have rocked the engine with my foot and seems tight, engine doesnt appear to be leaning either. When I shake the steering wheel when stationary, seems to be a little rattly, noy sure whether this is normal or not. Hoping it is nothing too serious, and also hope it is safe to drive home on sunday. Fingers crossed!

if anyone can help out with any info on this would be much appreciated.

• Donating Members

Yeah, not too sure what links are in it, since I bought the car with the sway bars in and havent had a good look to sus them out. I assume if this is the problem it is safe to drive home without any problem?

Also I noticed this noise almost instantly after slowing down from a windy bit of road at 100km/h

• Member For: 12y 10m 20d

Also the bar can move sideways causing clunking. Whiteline now provide "lateral locks" for their swaybars to prevent the movement. They are available separate.

• Like 1

• Donating Members

Thanks heaps for the replies. It is really annoying that this has happened as soon as I go away for the weekend.

Cant wait to check it out when I get home -_-

Edited by Falky100

• Donating Members

Well. Just took the front drivers wheel off, and everything looks tight. No broken linkage, and doesnt seem to clunk when I lift the rotor a little. Steering rack bolts look to be tight also. Forgot to check the engine mount but as I said before rocking the engine with my foot, it seems to be tight and not loose.

Its got me worried now that its something more serious and expencive. When I get home il disconnect the linkage and test. Hopefully it is the linkages.

Also my linkages are black which seems to be the same colour as whitelines on there website. What colour are fords linkages?