Removing Bf Rocker Cover Help

bionic_oosty

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 3m 11d

Ok so I thought I posted this with my phone 20 mins ago but can't see it on forum..

Anyway, I am TRYING to remove my cover and I have loosened the 8? bolts that run in rows of 2 along the top of cover. None of them come all the way out, they just sit about 10mm out and then the 2 at the front which are a hex head bolt almost come all the way out but just sit extra high... Is this normal??

If so, how do I break the seal? Obviously you don't just bash a flat head screwy under the gasket..

Also, the 2 plug/sensors at the front of cover (cam sensors?), do their bolts need to be removed or does that all come out in one piece..

I have removed everything else such as piping, crank case exhauster and coils packs etc..

Just stuck with the actual bolts and breaking the seal..

Cheers, Josh

• Donating Members

I got all 8 bolts out by breaking the rubber gromet seals below them.. Also removed the 2 bolts on each cam actuator sensor and pulled out the metal flanges around the plastic plugs.

So now it's just breaking the gasket seal that I need some advice with.

Surely someone reading this knows the easiest & safest way

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 2m 17d

Whoa...ok, you shouldn't have busted the bolts out of the rocker cover, they come off with it....

To break the seal you will need to give it a tap with a bit of timber or rubber mallet then pry it off. The gasket is just a sealant from memory, so you will have to buy some Grey maxx from repco or the like to re-seal it.

• Donating Members

Cheers Senna! When I said "breaking" I meant prying/lifting the rubber gromets (with a tiny tiny flat head).. So they are okay to be re-installed :)

But yeh I see now that they could've came out with cover.

So you're saying just lightly tap or bash around the bottom of cover? In an upwards direction or just hit it any old way until it cracks seal?

Thanks mate

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members

Yeah that's it - just give it a few whacks with the mallet to the side and that should help you get it up - since you are replacing the gasket you can use a broad flathead or scraper to pry the cover off the head

• Donating Members

haha yeh there wasn't much difference.. entire seal is broken and ready for removal.

Just the 2 plastic cam plugs inside the cover holes are impossible to get over.. You have to slide the cover toward firewall but there is no where near enough room to get over them.

Those two solid plugs don't get removed with the 2 flanges do they?? They seem very permenant to me

Edited by bionic_oosty

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members

To be honest its been a while since I've taken one off (like 5 years...) so I can't remember exactly but I think you can lift the back of the rocker and slide it back at the same time. Pretty sure I took mine off with the engine out of the car...sorry!

• Donating Members

Nah you're right man, I found where I'm going wrong.

The very edge of throttle body comes into play when trying to slide cover backwards..

Should come off after that! Thanks for the help!!!

All this for a coat of paint :banghead: