I Got A Suspension Knock

knoles

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 1m 1d

Hi guys

Just need some expert opinions. I got a BF sedan and done all the bushes F&R with super pro, also did ball joints. Didn't do tie rods. This was nearly a year ago I did the front. Over the past few months it has been developing a sight knock.

It sound like it's coming from RHF

Its more prominent the slower you go, over about 50 it doesn't make any noise.

Brakes don't affect it

Even the slightest bumps will produce the noise

Cant find any play in anything when its jacked with weight off the wheels

Sway bar links have no play when car is flat on the ground (that I can feel with just my hand in there)

I thought it might be the top strut mount, I pulled it out and had a good look at it and couldn't find a definite fault although the noise sort of changed but returned to normal shortly after.

So any one have an idea on what my knock is? I need help, it's so freakin hard to inspect suspension components on a driveway with a lowered car.

cheers

• Throbbing Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 2m 12d

would that make a crack/knocking noise when turning left into a drive way? Mines been doing it every now and then lately. Thought it was just the sway bar creeking...

• Member For: 12y 10m 14d

Could be the top mount even if it looks ok. My suspension shop has recently had a few FGs with top mount bushes causing knocks but still look ok. Noises went after replacing, not cheap at $180 for a Ford factory part.

Also if you have lowered and run caster correction then there is the possibility of the RH inner upper arm rear bush bolt hitting the spring especially when going over drives or bumps when turning.