Oil Catch Can

robbo17586

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 13y 8m 8d

Hello fellow enthusiasts (fanatics). Recently I made the decision to implant an oil catch can. I used the Calibre Supercheap item, based on the fact that you could remove the top section and place stainless steel wool, and place a pipe extension on the inlet connector (with the end approximately 2/3’s down the can. Although for this to be successful, I was required to use a dremel and removal material to allow the piping to fit around the inlet bolt section. There isn’t much room to play with so I also used some loctite gasket goop to made sure that the piping was sercured correctly.

I used 10mm internal pipe size radiator hose for the job. Again, from supercheap and was $4.69 per metre. I also bought tridon ring clamps although the catch can does come with 4 cheapo ones.

I used the mounting bracket that came with the can, but there was some modification required. I also used the master cylinder stud to attach to on the outer side. I drilled an 7-8mm hole in between the two holes already on the mounting bracket. Due to the angle of the master cylinder mounting point, you will be rquired to drill an additional hole in the can (side) mounting bracket to position the can vertically. Further, I also throw the mounting bracket in the vice and bent (at can mounting point) the bracket 10-15 degrees so that the catch can fitted without touching or rubbing.

After initially fitting I become aware of how hot the can got. So I placed a fuel filter in the line before entry. Hoping that this would help reduce temps as the system was not venting to atmoshere, and I had concerns about the hot air going back into the intake.

Anyway after another run with the fuel filter in place the catch can was actually cool to touch. So I believe that indeed the fuel filter’s design has significantly removed the incoming heat. I feel this is occurring because the incoming air is hitting the metal plate, and heating , but the nature of the filter element design is very efficiently removing the heat. Another benefit of using the clear fuel filter is that you can visually inspect blow by. So if one day it all looks good, and then the next it’s covered in oil, I think it’s fair to say you may have a ring/piston leak issue. So it can save further potential damage.

The other thing that I would like to highlight, is boost in the system. The only way this is possible is via the line feeding back from the inlet manifold. The PCV valve has a joiner located between 5 and 6 injectors. I have a feeling that that joiner is also a one way valve, that actually inhibits boost from going back into the system, but this I cannot confirm (so please correct me if wrong). But if it isn’t ,a PCV valve fitted into the line would be ideal.

The fitting of a good catch can which includes an oil/air separator (with a heater exchanger of some type, fuel filter in my case) will improve your emissions (carbon), and performance to a small degree. Other benefits include, reducing oil ingested into the engine (combustion area) , so that you will have reduced carbon build up on piston crown, head and valves.

In conclusion, I really can’t see any real benefit from just fitting a catch can without the neccessary accessories(unless venting to atmosphere), I feel that the heat generated would allow oil contaminates to continue into the inlet manifold in a vapourised form. Until hitting cooler air/environment, which would then return the oil back to a solid/viscose form.

Ideally the catch can that you want is one that can be opened and already has the internal piping included . Oh yeah a big can is a waste of time and space really.

Cheers

Edited by Ralph Wiggum
  • Like 1

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 5d

http://www.speedflow....au/valves.html

http://www.mscn.com....p?idproduct=620

-6 Valve with 2 x -6 barbed fittings to instal inline in the hose.

I source mine locally from Couplers here in Perth but MSCN are also very good to deal with Budget $70 for one.

So pcv to catch can

Manifold to catch can with check valve inline

And breather hose tapped into pcv to catch can

Is this correct fellas?

My setup

(One way valve on manifold) Manifold to catch can then catch can to Rocker cover.

My Breather is vented to Atmo through a filter

Also as Allan mentioned the inlet side of the catch can (the rocker cover line) has a tube that runs to the bottom of the can. Mine is an ally tube with 30 odd holes drilled into it. The can is also full of stainless steel wool. The inlet pipe and holes deposits the oil into the lower part of the can and into the wool which helps it separate it from the air in the car and prevent the exit port drawing the oily air straight back out under vaccum.

EDIT:

Picture being worth a 1000 words etc similar to this

166586d1306201914-lightest-oil-catch-can-15-lbs-oil-catch-can-2.jpg

• Like 1