The What's Pi$$Ing You Off Thread

EFSIX

• I'm getten too old for this s**t
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 21d

I just read that on google as well keify.......also found

Is a professional doctorate the same as a PhD? Both confer the title "Dr" on a successful candidate, but the two qualifications are not thesame. A PhD is a research based doctoral programme which usually involves little or no taught element* and is usually academic in nature.

from http://www.findaprofessionaldoctorate.com/advice/

• Member For: 14y 3m 13d

The "Doctorate" is part of a PhD, or any other "Doctoral" level degree, for that matter.

The "Doctorate" by itself is not a degree. It must be combined with something else (most often research, but can be various other things) to be considered a degree of qualification.

correct, a doctorate could be by research or course work, but still a doctorate degree (engineering etc) is not the same as a PhD, there is quite a difference in requirements, breadth of research etc.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

See the word "professional" before doctorate? It's another type of "Doctorate" level degree of which a PhD is just one type (specifically research into a new area, usually, but it depends on the tertiary academic institution). A "professional" Doctorate could be specific to a known area of knowledge with continued academic excellence.

Edited by k31th

See the word "professional" before doctorate? It's another type of "Doctorate" level degree of which a PhD is just one type (specifically research into a new area, usually, but it depends on the tertiary academic institution). A "professional" Doctorate could be specific to a known area of knowledge with continued academic excellence.

do you have either a doctorate or a Phd ?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

No, but I don't know how that is relevant.

I know a lot of academics who have all sorts of doctorate level degrees. I was also offered by my university to do a PhD but I declined.

No, but I don't know how that is relevant.

I know a lot of academics who have all sorts of doctorate level degrees. I was also offered by my university to do a PhD but I declined.

good, then you should realize then that, which is all I have been saying, In Australia, in both research and academia, the ranking (if you like) is masters, doctorate, phd. Do professional doctorate degree, and that bit of paper at the end says doctorate NOT PhD. they are separate degrees, all I said in the beginning was a professional doctorate is not a PhD (because it isn`t), and you said `your kidding....` time to move on I think

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

A doctorate isn`t a PhD, it goes Masters, Doctorate...then PhD

You said this, which is wrong. For the over-arching definitions of "degree qualifications" it goes bachelor, masters, doctorate.

There are many sub-classifications of each level and a PhD is just one type of doctorate level degree.

You don't "get a doctorate" then "get a PhD" unless they are completely separate qualifications.

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

Used to work in a job that needed to know quals a bit:

http://www.aqf.edu.au

P63 of the handbook on this site - PhD is one type of doctoral degree, rather than being higher than a doctoral degree.