What Power Hurts The Zf

XRP

• Member For: 15y 2m 9d

Hi, I am starting to getting the itch to mod our Terry, 2010 EGO GHIA with 15000km's on it.

Just wondering at what sort of power figures you guys are starting to encounter box / shaft issues?

im not going for massive horsepower, more so, good power with reliability and good fuel economy, Injectors, intake, exhaust and a custom tune should do for now.

Edited by XRP
  • Like 1

• Skid Machine
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 10m 5d

I'm too sure how more more stress the weight of a Territory would put on the drive line but I thing you'd be pretty safe with those mild mods and around 280rwkw.

Have a quick read through the Territory Turbo threads.

• Member For: 15y 8m 8d

My terry's got 320awkw. The gearbox is holding up fine. I've got 52,XXXkms and is running well. U don't need an exhaust, just debung yours. Mine is still using the standard exhaust. Buy a front mount intercooler instead as the top mount dies in the ass with the extra KW

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 4d

Time wears it out but low 300's is pretty safe. Mine has about 65 thousand km on it since modding to 317rwkw, I have found it starting to slip 3rd to 4th - at least I'm pretty sure it's slip - the gearbox won't change to 4th under high throttle input any more, I have to back off. It tries to shift but basically hits limiter and feels damaging...

Was flawless back when I ran it on the drag strip after mods. Other than that it's fine so far. Close to 170,000km.

edit - this experience is for the sedan.

Edited by -SteveR-

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 25d

My f6x (fpv terry!) has 86k on it and when I bought it with 80k on the clock it had been modified from new to whatever the standard turbo on it can take (fg turbo compressor). It started to develop the wharr/squack noise around the 84-85k mark. I had the original oil flushed out for Transmax Z but it still does it and I have bought some Lubegard red to add to it to see if it shuts up! this stuff is OEM recommended overseas for most ZF boxes and they say its mostly a fix for it but we will see...

I am not sure how the previous owner treated it but the car has not broken yet (front diff bushes only) and the gearbox to me seems fine apart from that farking noise...

The problem with the Terries is that there is no weak point so to speak like tyres on the sedan. Keep an eye on the trans temp and only flog it when warm, not to many hard lauches at a time and I'd say it'll be ok.

Every car is different though!!!

• Like 1

• Member For: 15y 2m 9d

My terry's got 320awkw. The gearbox is holding up fine. I've got 52,XXXkms and is running well. U don't need an exhaust, just debung yours. Mine is still using the standard exhaust. Buy a front mount intercooler instead as the top mount dies in the ass with the extra KW

yeah sweet, by exhaust, I meant debung, seems the logical thing to do.

300 looks to be the safe mark, thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 12y 1m 24d

I broke an input shaft @ 250awkw but I didn't know much about the history of the vehical.

When the guys pulled the box out they told me that it had been happening for a while.

46,000 kms

Nispro shaft and now running 304awkw and it is perfect thanks to a zf tune.

• Like 2

• I see a red door and I want to paint it black
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 5m 3d

Hi, I am starting to getting the itch to mod our Terry, 2010 EGO GHIA with 15000km's on it.

Just wondering at what sort of power figures you guys are starting to encounter box / shaft issues?

im not going for massive horsepower, more so, good power with reliability and good fuel economy, Injectors, intake, exhaust and a custom tune should do for now.

your zf will die

cheers

Dillz

• Like 5