Henz

What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

Use a small USB  snake camera down the bores to check each piston, bore and head. Detention kills the pistons at the edge, and breaks away sections adjacent to the top ring.

I was logging when it broke and it wasn't knocking. The log looks really good actually.

The motor is getting rebuilt so no need for a camera.

I'll post a pic or two when I get it apart.

I don't think it broke from detonation for various reasons.

I know my turbo pistons have seen a lot more abuse and are still serviceable.

I got it all apart and it looked like I thought it would. No signs of detonation and one cracked piston. 

The pics tell the tale mostly but if it's hard to see then I can tell yas that it's cracked the ring lands, bent the rings and cracked through the piston about a quarter of the way around where the second ring goes.

One thing that has me wondering is the broken piston is completely clean for some reason where the other 5 aren't. Could the oil have cleaned it off on the short drive home? It was burning a fair friggin bit from that cylinder. I did clean the piston crowns when I assembled it and it only ran for a few weeks so the carbon build up is very slight.

More to the story, after a few weeks I replaced the plugs as it felt a bit sluggish on boost. It picked up a lot of power when I swapped the plugs and immediately after I swapped them, I went for a drive and it broke.

qYzHMQJ.jpg

VnQS0Y9.jpg

p9r6fiZ.jpg

YsAFQLF.jpg

I everybody, this is my first post on this site, hope you guys arnt as anal as those ***** on Australian ford forums. I got a lot of be quiet we have been here a lot longer than you high and mighty ****n bullsh*t on that site. If your objective to anything those robots say, your banned.

haha welcome aboard mate, we're pretty accepting here, as long as you don't mind slinging a bit of :pooh: at each other for banter :)

I was waiting to get banned just for using the ***** . Breathing a little easier now.

OH, I put oakwood leather care hydrating cream on my seats today. Not sure if it did anything but did make the leather more glossy. Does anybody else find ford leather to be on the hard side. It seems very durable, but it is a very stiff hard leather. Car is BF GT.

I pulled the bf block down as I was going to use the turbo pistons to rebuild with.

21 hours ago, Puffwagon said:

I know my turbo pistons have seen a lot more abuse and are still serviceable.

Apparently they aren't after all. This was the last one that I pulled out...

n1VMTdk.jpg

Nah no marks from the quick look I had today.

It only ran for about one minute after it broke and that was just limping it home. I also got off it in a split second when I heard it go. 

I'll have a real good look tomorrow when it's light and I'll post a pic of the bores.

18 hours ago, eff xr6t said:

Picks of the bore with the broken ringlands?

Only the mark on the left picks up on the fingernail. There are a couple of very similar marks (as the left one) in a couple of other bores so I wonder if the rings were having a hard time.

Both blocks will at least need to be honed before I put anything back into them. I haven't measured the bores yet and I'll do that when I decide how I'm going to proceed.

fUf1sQF.jpg

A deviation from the current discussion, but today (in the spirit of this thread!) my fg mk2 Ute went in for a tune :

spun up 223kw ate as a baseline, first retune 252rwkw and 711nM, however tuna mentioned when he looked at the data the factory injectors were at 99.2%, which he felt to be pushing them way too far, so final result pulling it back a bit was 241kw and 648nM,

From what I understand the factory fuel system can often get to around 275 reliably, but I suppose there is always going to be variation!  

I think at this stage I’ll sit on it for a while, and when it starts to feel slow again, take another (considerably more expensive) leap!

Hey mate that’s actually bang on what I get when I tune a bone stock FG turbo (220ish-250ish) and yes the injectors do peg at 95-98% but only during peak torque and actually pull back to around 90% into redline but for a stock injector and low power it’s ( I’ll say this loosely ) acceptable to see the high percentages but your tuner did do the right thing all said and done ;) 

New front pads and rotors on the Kluger last night. Bit of a PITA because I removed the caliper mounting brackets to access the pads, given the rotors had to come off. But the pads have clips on them that can only be accessed be swinging the caliper off the brackets, so after switching rotors I had to remount the calipers and then go again. Rotors were seized on and took a stack of WD40 and a deadblow hammer to loosen them.

I was so relieved to get the rotors off I forgot to then clean the hubs. Brakes work great this morning, except I've got a pad on rotor sound while turning so I suspect I've got a bit of movement from an uneven hub service.

Off it all comes again tonight...

you have to get the caliper off it's mounting bracket to get to a clip that holds the pads in... wtf'ery...

bugger that you have run-out issues, though. At least now that you've done it once it should be simple the second time :idunno:

16 hours ago, JETURBO said:

injectors do peg at 95-98%

Random thought... We have a low and high slope for injectors because of linearity issues at low pulse widths but as you'd know those issues persist at the far end of the injectors too.

In your opinion is there any merit to having a low/mid/high slope arrangement to account for the change in fuel at 90 to 100% dc?

Does anyone else care to comment?

you have to get the caliper off it's mounting bracket to get to a clip that holds the pads in... wtf'ery...

bugger that you have run-out issues, though. At least now that you've done it once it should be simple the second time :idunno:
Yeah there's two wishbone springs that push the pads apart that fit little holes on the outer edge of the pads. So can only fit them with the pads fitted to the brackets but the caliper out of the way. I seriously doubt it would matter if I just chucked them!

Had a thought that maybe I dented the backing plate while beating up the old disc. Might try and poke it with a screwdriver through the wheel spokes before I drive home.

Interestingly I had to mix and match a bit to get the pads to fit. With the pistons fully depressed some combinations would fit within the caliper, which makes me think there was a bit of variation between the pads in the box. I've never fitted Bendix pads before (have removed a few sets before throwing them in the bin in a cloud of brake dust).

Really not many options for this car for pads though. Project Mus will go on the Falcon soon, but apparently supply issues at the moment.

1 hour ago, Puffwagon said:

Random thought... We have a low and high slope for injectors because of linearity issues at low pulse widths but as you'd know those issues persist at the far end of the injectors too.

In your opinion is there any merit to having a low/mid/high slope arrangement to account for the change in fuel at 90 to 100% dc?

Does anyone else care to comment?

There is zero merit for an additional slope when Ford have already accounted for this  need in the forced induction calibrations.