Henz

What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

19 minutes ago, tazzanz said:

Stripped down my hotside of my car, preparing to pull engine out. I really hate working on cars.

You chucking those bits in you've been collecting?

You know what I hate more than working on cars? Paying someone to do it for me.

How do you guys flush your torque converters? I'm thinking I will drain and refill trans sump (new oil and filter), then disconnect cooler line from the radiator, start engine until some fluid has drained out, switch off motor and top up trans, rinse and repeat until the fluid coming out of cooler line is the new stuff. Won't get it all of course - similar concept to flushing brakes.

Lots of articles suggesting to disconnect cooler pipe, then run motor until all fluid is pumped out then switch off. Seems like a bad idea to me...

21 minutes ago, El Andrew said:

Lots of articles suggesting to disconnect cooler pipe, then run motor until all fluid is pumped out then switch off. Seems like a bad idea to me...

Torque converters aren't meant to be run dry/without oil and you need to add fluid to a new install but since yours already has some fluid in it I'd be happy to run it out. Providing you turned it off straight away and didn't try to put the trans into gear or load it up at all this wouldn't cause any damage. Keep it as brief as possible.

27 minutes ago, El Andrew said:

I'm thinking I will drain and refill trans sump (new oil and filter), then disconnect cooler line from the radiator, start engine until some fluid has drained out, switch off motor and top up trans, rinse and repeat until the fluid coming out of cooler line is the new stuff.

That seems like a good way to get it done.

This week on Turbo Tradie Life: Pulled exhaust back out to find & patch any leaks & there was only 3 pinholes which is better than I expected. Then painted black for maximum stealth!

Went in for quick wheel alignment; needs shimming & one shock is leaking so I'm hunting for an upgraded set 4corners. Also my tails haft coupling is cracking so I'd better swap that out.

Contacted ShockWorks but having trouble justifying the 2k even though they look awesome & would probally be great for trying to tame my boatymcboatface of an overweight axle tramping ute.
Koni sport adjustable set on eBay for $930
& Tyre shop priced me supply $750 for peddlers gas shocks.

Got 100k & 8years out of factory shocks, what's the lifespan of good aftermarket gear?
Leaning towards the Koni's atm.
41e6634a082e7305ba1e6da1fced736d.jpg

WIDTMYC

Fri night ~9.30

Decided after a few hefty scotches with family (2yo daughter's bday party) that the sooner my rear guards were given a trim the sooner I could fit the new rims.

In the driveway with a work light, masking tape, 5" grinder and brotherly/brotherly-in-law (constructive-ish) criticism...result wasn't so pretty but oh well.

Mossies were getting fierce and audience had disappeared inside so host's conscience got the better of me after doing one and I went back to scotch and cake. 

Sat

Finished the other guard, fitted all 4 rims, tightened axle U-bolts & other rear bolts, then exhaust manifold, turbo & dump pipe bolts/nuts.

Stuck some masking tape strips in the rear guards - half on the guard return edge and half free inside - then took it for a drive. Felt fine, didn't feel any scraping and marks on the tape shows there seems to be enough clearance now.

Sun

Washed it for first time this year. Had no tyre shine left but comes up alright for a 9.5yo work hack. Am convinced the usual film of dust & grime protects the paint lol

Hope all pics show up for once. Will have to get some in a different light, colour of rims doesn't show up that great in the pics.

wlk9j8fBOfAYWvakXrWfmlFtD_fEZjRfS4Lm9OnU

iv-cmlSYe_gj7NxJ9TRKroHQN76apF1uUJQN6xWM

AEiVtczH6fJx7sOed5aTSfFna985Fmk6mIt-tNSR A2jBGms3bvzqIFBOF2gTzqrh_N_0wZZ4jzmtr8rY

HeU6e-kppCTtPp8dXZgGpdBAw6VpkvYflBr8K5st

Looks sweet!

I had a rear door making a grumbling noise and not locking. Bought one of the kits for $22 that has enough motors and cogs to fix 4 doors.

After market door mechanism is about $50 or more, genuine $200.

Trim off, mechanism out, cogs and springs replaced, mechanism in, trim on in about 20 mins. Would be less next time around.

That is by far the easiest door trim and mech I have ever worked on.

Any quick thoughts on this? I thought my power steering high pressure line was shagged, but the amount and location of the message has me a bit suspicious of the pump or pump seals.8f4e853df0d79088ad6e9bcea79ac87a.jpg

Thanks - yeah giving it a scrub now. Will chuck the line in anyway as it's much better quality than the stop gap one I used last time.

And it does look suspicious...42183e67098df3b579bd9f2e0df99cb7.jpg

probably spurting out in small bits rather than dripping out in large bits of oil... same same... but do what Puff said to confirm :)