What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

Henz

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 5d

New front pads and rotors on the Kluger last night. Bit of a PITA because I removed the caliper mounting brackets to access the pads, given the rotors had to come off. But the pads have clips on them that can only be accessed be swinging the caliper off the brackets, so after switching rotors I had to remount the calipers and then go again. Rotors were seized on and took a stack of WD40 and a deadblow hammer to loosen them.

I was so relieved to get the rotors off I forgot to then clean the hubs. Brakes work great this morning, except I've got a pad on rotor sound while turning so I suspect I've got a bit of movement from an uneven hub service.

Off it all comes again tonight...

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

you have to get the caliper off it's mounting bracket to get to a clip that holds the pads in... wtf'ery...

bugger that you have run-out issues, though. At least now that you've done it once it should be simple the second time :idunno:

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 27d
16 hours ago, JETURBO said:

injectors do peg at 95-98%

Random thought... We have a low and high slope for injectors because of linearity issues at low pulse widths but as you'd know those issues persist at the far end of the injectors too.

In your opinion is there any merit to having a low/mid/high slope arrangement to account for the change in fuel at 90 to 100% dc?

Does anyone else care to comment?

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 5d
you have to get the caliper off it's mounting bracket to get to a clip that holds the pads in... wtf'ery...

bugger that you have run-out issues, though. At least now that you've done it once it should be simple the second time :idunno:
Yeah there's two wishbone springs that push the pads apart that fit little holes on the outer edge of the pads. So can only fit them with the pads fitted to the brackets but the caliper out of the way. I seriously doubt it would matter if I just chucked them!

Had a thought that maybe I dented the backing plate while beating up the old disc. Might try and poke it with a screwdriver through the wheel spokes before I drive home.

Interestingly I had to mix and match a bit to get the pads to fit. With the pistons fully depressed some combinations would fit within the caliper, which makes me think there was a bit of variation between the pads in the box. I've never fitted Bendix pads before (have removed a few sets before throwing them in the bin in a cloud of brake dust).

Really not many options for this car for pads though. Project Mus will go on the Falcon soon, but apparently supply issues at the moment.

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 8m 20d
1 hour ago, Puffwagon said:

Random thought... We have a low and high slope for injectors because of linearity issues at low pulse widths but as you'd know those issues persist at the far end of the injectors too.

In your opinion is there any merit to having a low/mid/high slope arrangement to account for the change in fuel at 90 to 100% dc?

Does anyone else care to comment?

There is zero merit for an additional slope when Ford have already accounted for this  need in the forced induction calibrations.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Aftermarket injectors have different characteristics and there will be differences in the percentage of fuel flow when they go static. What map or table takes these differences into account?

Also I don't want to stretch this out unnecessarily as it was just a quick thought for discussion, but the need for a third slope to perfect the injector flow could be completely negated by choosing the right size injector so you never reach the second period of non linearity.

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 8m 20d

The calibration prevents you from operating at a duty cycle where the injectors go non-linear. It’s well documented that you should not be going there, hence Ford prevent it rather than adding an addition slope value (which would bever be accurate to the ford spec anyway).

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
22 hours ago, The Red Baron said:

when he looked at the data the factory injectors were at 99.2%

So if the calibration prevents it then what is the calibrated number, assuming it is between 99.2% and 100%?

Fark me I love editing: Apart from that I know that you shouldn't operate injectors there for various reasons and agree with the rest of your comment.

Edited by Puffwagon
I love editing.