What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

Henz

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 18d
19 minutes ago, tazzanz said:

Stripped down my hotside of my car, preparing to pull engine out. I really hate working on cars.

You chucking those bits in you've been collecting?

You know what I hate more than working on cars? Paying someone to do it for me.

• Like 3

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 25d

How do you guys flush your torque converters? I'm thinking I will drain and refill trans sump (new oil and filter), then disconnect cooler line from the radiator, start engine until some fluid has drained out, switch off motor and top up trans, rinse and repeat until the fluid coming out of cooler line is the new stuff. Won't get it all of course - similar concept to flushing brakes.

Lots of articles suggesting to disconnect cooler pipe, then run motor until all fluid is pumped out then switch off. Seems like a bad idea to me...

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 18d
21 minutes ago, El Andrew said:

Lots of articles suggesting to disconnect cooler pipe, then run motor until all fluid is pumped out then switch off. Seems like a bad idea to me...

Torque converters aren't meant to be run dry/without oil and you need to add fluid to a new install but since yours already has some fluid in it I'd be happy to run it out. Providing you turned it off straight away and didn't try to put the trans into gear or load it up at all this wouldn't cause any damage. Keep it as brief as possible.

27 minutes ago, El Andrew said:

I'm thinking I will drain and refill trans sump (new oil and filter), then disconnect cooler line from the radiator, start engine until some fluid has drained out, switch off motor and top up trans, rinse and repeat until the fluid coming out of cooler line is the new stuff.

That seems like a good way to get it done.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 6m 10d

This week on Turbo Tradie Life: Pulled exhaust back out to find & patch any leaks & there was only 3 pinholes which is better than I expected. Then painted black for maximum stealth!

Went in for quick wheel alignment; needs shimming & one shock is leaking so I'm hunting for an upgraded set 4corners. Also my tails haft coupling is cracking so I'd better swap that out.

Contacted ShockWorks but having trouble justifying the 2k even though they look awesome & would probally be great for trying to tame my boatymcboatface of an overweight axle tramping ute.
Koni sport adjustable set on eBay for $930
& Tyre shop priced me supply $750 for peddlers gas shocks.

Got 100k & 8years out of factory shocks, what's the lifespan of good aftermarket gear?
Leaning towards the Koni's atm.
41e6634a082e7305ba1e6da1fced736d.jpg

• Like 2