What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

Henz

• MattyP
  • Cruise Control
  • Member For: 11y 10m 25d

Serviced the car yesterday, 

Changed the oil after 5000kms of e85 only and she looked real thin coming out 

Also had 5 exhaust nuts loose and one of the front torx long bolts (the one that holds the water line up on the front of the rocker cover) is totally stripped from the previous workshop.

Have no idea what to do now 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d
1 hour ago, MattyP said:

one of the front torx long bolts (the one that holds the water line up on the front of the rocker cover) is totally stripped

Is the torx driver part stripped or the thread that the bolt goes into?

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Have no idea what to do now 

If it's the torx part and you want to swap it, you can weld a nut to it, undo it and swap it out. If you can't get a bolt from a wreckers I'm sure someone around here will send you one for free.

If it's the thread that is stripped then providing the timing cover and/or rocker cover isn't leaking, don't worry about it. If the timing cover leaks try some silicone on the outside of it and if that doesn't work (it frequently does) then pull the cover off and helicoil the thread etc.

If all of that is too hard then you can drop it at a shop, leave your first born as payment and ask them to fix it.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d
44 minutes ago, MattyP said:

You'd think professionals would know this

You'd think so. Still, mistakes happen and sometimes threads will sh*t themselves even if you are being careful.

46 minutes ago, 4321 said:

Pretty sure that you can get to the end of the bolt & put a nut on it

If it is the drivers side then you could use a longer bolt and there might be enough thread left to tighten up. You could also use a nut if you had the right size bolt and did a bit of filing/grinding to the head for the nut to fit.

I'd still helicoil it and use the proper bolt though even if it is a bit more work. It'd look a bit odd having a different bolt up the front of your motor. I spose you could cut and shut the stock bolt to make it longer. There may be a bolt available with the same head that is long enough for either task.

On the passenger side the thread is closed at the end, but maybe the thread extends far enough that a longer bolt would grab it sufficiently.

Here's some yoo byoot pics of the front and back of the drivers side and the front and back of the passenger side respectively so we can all have a geez.

Can you tell I'm trying to get out of the dishes???

1JztVOe.jpg

GE6ITC4.jpg

J19taYY.jpg

DWsC2cL.jpg

• Like 2

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 7d

That sucks. I've pretty much decided for the Falcon that it only goes to a workshop if absolutely necessary. Too many stuff arounds, mistakes, broken bits.

Weirdly I was just looking at that very bolt an hour ago myself as it has always annoyed me that the water line hangs a bit low. Is that plastic bracket meant to hold the water line and is the bracket in this pic complete or broken off?d63d4c73c94e8d26d410020f57e04391.jpg

Edit: Puff's setup with the water line tucked above the bolt looks good. My filter in the oil line sits way to close to the belt.