What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

Henz

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

Iam a little confused, so does your fan draw or blow air. I would say it draws similar to mine. So are you saying the hot air had no where to go, and the pressure vents it.

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 5d

The fan is on the front of the cooler and blows through it.

The hot air was trapped in the bumper to the point the inner guard was almost too hot to touch.

With the bumper off it was taking aprox 5 mins for the cooler fan to cycle, bumper on closer to 10mins.

Plus while cruising after giving the car a squirt the temp would rise to 90deg and stay there. Hence my desire to give the hot air somewhere to go.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members

Opposite to mine then. Doesnt really make sense. What if you mounted it in the front of the car. Can you reverse the direction of the fan.

Yes you probably can if its a brushed motor.

Edited by arronm

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members

The fan is setup correctly to push air through the cooler. The hot air simply wasn't escaping the bumper. With the vent panel in place the fan comes on and hot air is forced out the vents. Previously you could not feel the air escaping the rear of the bumper.

I'm confused as to how you are confused?

• Like 1

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members

Not now, just assumed your fan drew air like mine. Was it wired that way or did you reverse the polarity. You can see how it wouldn't work that well if it was in front of the car??

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members

There's literally no room in the front of the car for it hence the location.

The fan is reversible, you simply remove the blades flip the 180 and reinstall. The unit is designed for remote mounting in either pushing or pulling fan configuration.

I'm. Pretty confident it will preform better than it has the last couple of days now the hot air can escape, as you would know it's been quite warm the last couple of days and while the trans hasn't got hot as such, i'd expected expected more giving the praise other members have given zf's with a2o coolers

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 24d

So... Ralph, What was your trans temp prior to adding the cooler? I'm guessing maybe 5°C over your coolant temp with the factory setup? I want to swap my standard cooler out for just a B&M in the guard but not going to use a fan!

Eave vent looks cool. Can you get another one put up higher in the guard seeing as hot air rises? I remembered on the BA I had mine mounted allot more forward as it had no fan and the piece of body sheet metal that extended out we cout off. I was "gonna" fit a piece of ducting behind the fog light and direct it up but obviously didn't gonna...

Edited by bjc

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members

Yeah Trans temp previously was basically coolant temp.

Driving to work today with the vent installed I'm getting what I expected from the start, belt the car temp goes up, cruise at low load/decent speed (70 to 80kph) temps drops to around 25 to 30 above ambient (ambient when driving to work was aprox 30 deg) 25 mins drive to work didn't trigger the fan once (cuts in at 80deg)

The current vent covers aprox the bottom 2/3rds of the cooler, As I mentioned about I may add another vent above it but fitment is a little more tricky as the inner splash guard starts to curve upwards at that point.

I wouldn't recommend running a cooler without a fan in the location after see what I've seen with this unit. Unless your running massive fresh air ducting and vents the heat is going to build up in that area.

A plus to having the vent is it also makes a handy inspection/maintenance access hatch for the cooler.

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 4d

Made a start reducing the size of the parts mountain in my shed

Fitted these today, once car is running will be good to test them out. Rear 20mm bolt on spacers would be here early next wk, should make the rims fill the guards nicely.

Cib86ch.jpg

N76rQnI.jpg

Car all ready for transplant, will be off the road for a little I suspect

• Like 4