Coolant Turned To Brownish Colour

sassXR6T

• Member For: 13y 7m 11d

It ain't gonna hurt changing the coolant to quality one from any local supercheap auto or repco. The factory coolant is cheap and a weak solution that does turn brown. Why not change it to something that will be far better in summer that will last. only takes 10 minutes for a full flush and refill. Personally I wouldn't use anything less than a Tectalloy 90plus. 5ltr for $20.

***You will require at least 6 Litres***

Edited by 601Turbz
  • Like 1

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 25d

It turns yellow because:

A: It's crap coolant

B: The blocks are sand cast and 10000k's seems to be just about enough time to wash the residual sand particles out of the cooling system.

Also +1 for Tectalloy 90+ for post mix or Castrol Radicool for Premixed

• Like 1

• Member For: 11y 8m 17d

I bought my ute at 31--k's basically brand new, the coolant was a lush bright green. I have owned it for exactly a week today and its already starting to change color and it looks like a multi layered shot glass in the overfill tank.

Might try this so called Tectalloy 90+ this weekend with a full flush out. Can I do a quick flush with tap water? I really don't want to for the sake of rust in the pipes but would it be ok just to get the rest of the sh*t out?

I bought my ute at 31--k's basically brand new, the coolant was a lush bright green. I have owned it for exactly a week today and its already starting to change color and it looks like a multi layered shot glass in the overfill tank.

Might try this so called Tectalloy 90+ this weekend with a full flush out. Can I do a quick flush with tap water? I really don't want to for the sake of rust in the pipes but would it be ok just to get the rest of the sh*t out?

No tap water! Use rain or demineralised and cycle it through and then flush it out. You're not ment to mix different types of coolants at all.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 14d

Isn't demineralised water supposed to be used only because it has a higher boiling temp? Every mechanic I have seen only use tap water for servicing!

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 2m 30d

for flushing it out tap water probably would be fine, your not keeping it in there. Think the issue with it is whats added to it and can cause things like calcium buildup or something like that.

Isn't demineralised water supposed to be used only because it has a higher boiling temp? Every mechanic I have seen only use tap water for servicing!

I think it's to protect that aluminium radiators, as tap water contains all sorts of additves that can corrode over time. Demineralised water is free from these.

• Like 2

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 14d

Yeah I've seen them stick the hose in to flush it out but they also just fill up from the same tap! I would have thought that the coolant itself is supposed to suppress all that corrosion, calcium etc from forming?

Either way the Demineralised water is cheap as chips from coles or woolies!!!