Who's Owned A Bmw? Or Can Comment On Them?

NVT

• Formerly EGOBFXR6
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 2m 13d

Hey all,

I know this is a Ford site, but I do value the opinions of the forum members here. Like you, I can appreciate a well built car regardless of the make or build and wanted some opinions on BMW's as a make.

My girlfriend has fallen in love with my uncles 4.4L V8 X5. Having been in it and driven it myself, I have to say I am impressed with the ride and build quality. Due to the large size and high fuel consumption, I suggested an E60 545i with the same 4.4L engine with a claimed 10.6L/100. Obviously, it is smaller but has better fuel consumption, is faster due to the substantial weight saving and looks pretty slick to be honest!

Can anyone comment on the E60 545i or the 4.4L V8 engine - 2004/2005 model? Claimed 0-100 is mid-high 5's which isn't bad but it's not a rocket either.

Can anyone comment on things like longevity of components/engine, servicing and part costs/maintenance schedule, or the car as a whole? The cars KM's average between 90,000 and 150,000Km's. My uncle claims to use a workshop that isn't much more expensive for parts of servicing than his other cars so that was a huge plus for us.

Plan to take a few out for a drive over the next little while, but would love for you guys to share any experiences.

Thanks for the input guys - Do appreciate it! :spoton:

Dan

• Turboless
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 1m 22d

Don't have alot to say about except they're nice looking but do know, once stuff fails and you need it fixed your wallet will be hurting, alot.

Other than that they are nice looking and for the price tag I'd be wanting a decent built car, but I've never really looked into them because of what I've been told ^^ and just the price even for 2nd hand. Decent ones that is lol not the smallest ones of the lot haha

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 3m 8d

Gf had an 05 735li, 3.6l v8.

Again, nice car, but f*cking pricey to maintain and fix.

It had a common fault, that I found mentioned about the x5 engines too as they're all similar, where a coolant pipe/seal in the middle of the valley fails, 10k to fix through bmw supposedly, a mob in the US made a part so it could be done for 2-3k. Needed all the front removed, radiator out, inlet manifold off etc.

Ended up just trading it in with the water leak.

• Formerly EGOBFXR6
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 2m 13d

Hey Freeze,

Don't think she's overly keen to be honest - She's after one with some grunt! (Makes me proud hahaha)

Shy, parts were also my concern, but my uncle reckons his X5 isn't that bad. I'll have to talk to him again... 2nd hand, the 545i's are priced in a very reasonable range.

Thanks Dave - Was that the X5 4.4L or the diesel? I'll have to look into parts and maintenance then guys...

Cheers lads!

Dan

• Like 1

• Member For: 12y 8m 4d

Difference between a Bmw and a hedgehog? Pricks are inside a Bmw :pardon:

On a serious note. Any luxury European car is going to put a dent in your wallet no matter how well built. Personally had an 06 Audi A4 that cost me nearly 10k in random problems. sh*t breaks, that's just life. So if you've got the coin to keep it straight then the Bmw's a beautiful car to own. However if you don't have an oil well in your back yard, I wouldn't bother.

• Member For: 20y 2m 5d

I'm a BMW mechanic. Wouldn't touch one of those 4.4 e53's ever. They're not the ones with the 5.5sec acceleration btw. The valley problem as mentioned above, head gaskets, transmissions, suspension bushes, electrical problems. They're really not holding up well with age. BMW V8's in general aren't very forgiving on the wallet. Later E60's are better I'd shoot for a 530d if you could. Plenty of torque and better on fuel.

• Member For: 21y 19d

Basically the cost of spare parts and service IS horendous if you go to your local BMW dealer. Even if you use a good mechanic he will still hit you for parts.

In Australia BMW is aimed at the wealthy who really will pay whatever the BMW dealer charges. THey are the sort of people who dont question the bill. BMW basically just rip you off.

I would go on a BMW forum and find out more about that particular vehicle. The 528i E39 6cylinders we have are good but I have read the V8 version are not a good engine. The model can be good and engine bad and the other way around.. I service the two 528i that we have and I get most of my parts from USA. For example its not unusual that a $300 part in Aust is around $100 in USA..