Mining Jobs

wilba

• Turboless
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 1m 22d

Ah yep, thanks. Just seen an ad in the paper about Pilbara WA for Rio Tinto and that they're after a heap of different people so I'll wait until I have the truck licence and send off the resume.

I remember reading about some "snitches" from BHP where some workers would dob on the others if something they did was against OHS laws etc and they'd get a benefit for it lol! Stuff that though

But now I'm more keen to head up to QLD if I can get a job in one of the mines. But any place will do, afterall, as long it pays the bills!

• Tampon inserted, Auto Acquired, next purchase a new handbag
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 30d

A lot of my mates work in the mines in nth qld and w.a, and about 50% of them had the dob in an unsafe worker policy, normally accompanied by a bonus for doing so.

But mates in other mines sit outside thier machines tanning or lifting weights and sh*t.

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 27d

A lot of my mates work in the mines in nth qld and w.a, and about 50% of them had the dob in an unsafe worker policy, normally accompanied by a bonus for doing so.

But mates in other mines sit outside thier machines tanning or lifting weights and sh*t.

First I have heard of this. We are all required to complete safety interactions and hazard ID's and are all required as Per Duty of Care in OHSA to stop Unsafe acts.

Interactions and Hazard ID's contribute to your overall safety contribution at performance review time but I have never and doubt I will even see a company that will pay you to dob people in. The Companies push that safety should be a culture we all accept and actively contribute to, not something we do or a manner we act in because we will receive a bonus.

• Tampon inserted, Auto Acquired, next purchase a new handbag
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 30d

Maybe my mate just exaggerated. He said he had been reported twice for sleeves rolled up.

He's in a diamond mind if that matters.

Edited by Henz

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members

Pretty common for people to get tuned for not using PPE properly (including long sleeves)

I have heard of employees who make a positive contribution towards safety (ie suggesting a safety improvement) recieving gifts such as vouchers for Coles/Myers or Dinners etc.

I know of 1 scenario that happened at a site I regularly visit where a newly appointed safety rep observed a contract truck driver carrying out what he considered to be an unsafe act, the Safety Rep didn't intervene but instead hunted down the Contract Supervisor for said truckie and they both went out to rip the guy a new one tag team style. Once they looked into what the truckie was doing in more detail he was infact working in a safe manner. The Safety Rep is now looking for a new job and the contract supervisor has a very sore arse. It's never okay to walk past an unsafe act and then return witch hunt style and these guys found it out the hardway.

/end csb

• I <3 Floods
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 18d

Some sites I've been on have cameras in trucks.. But usually it takes alot of incidents to get there.. But I have heard of truck drivers being nabbed reading magazines etc while operating so I completely understand why they get cameras..

Safety is a big thing.. People get upset about getting dobbed in for doing the wrong thing but being dobbed in may be the only thing sending them home to their wife and kid on the weekend..

Personally machine operators I've been involved with are pretty good.. It's the electricians you've gotta watch..

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members

People get upset about getting dobbed in for doing the wrong thing but being dobbed in may be the only thing sending them home to their wife and kid on the weekend..

^ This! I have been involved in one (and fingers crossed it will be the only one!) Incident that was nothing more than dumb luck away from being a fatality. Once all the buzz had calmed down and I had a chance to sit and think about it over a beer it occurred to me that the only thing that stopped a 23yr old guy with a wife and child from being killed was purely dumb luck. That changed my entire outlook on safety in the workplace.