Mining Jobs

wilba

• I <3 Floods
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 23d

As far as money goes my brother in law got offered big coin to go drilling in WA.. But when he compared their roster to his current 7/7 roster he would of been on better annual money but less per hour..

There is a butt load of cash floating around western qld at the moment.. However if you want to make serious coin.. More money they you could possible imagine.. Open a McDonalds in Rockhampton.. That's where the real dollars are..

• Like 1

• Bored Member
  • Administrator
  • Member For: 21y 5m 10d

Whats site life like out on some of these holes, anyone have pics they can share?

Luandry, showers, chow sheds, feminine hygeine waste disposal units etc....just make sure the showers are empty...

Edited by Dagabond

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 2d

I'm at Daunia 3/1 cavill ridge is always on the cards for York again I think I might stay here till the finish, got heaps of photos especially of the 2 x 6060's and the 6040 and the 20 x 793F's built for Poitrel ...

Yeah a few mates have left where I am for a start over there with BMC. All brand new gear and working for owner operator sounds pretty sweet.

A mate a Millennium said they were taking the current downers staff first. Staying 7/7. Owner ops is the way to go.

Big rumors of Alpha project and Cavil ridge going round too.

HVO is a different place. All truckies are contractors on traineeships, wierd. Permanents op everything else.

Yeah a while back when I did my trainer assessor course there were a few blokes from there said they will be changing shirts when downer leave.. We still have 3 years left in the contract where I am so but when that finishes will look at an owner operator company again.

Ah sweet some good info in those posts. So with no FIFO and just buses, you organise your own flight from the nearest airport?

In qld then, if going for a job there, should I wait for the alpha mine and get the FIFO? What other mines there are owner operated?

Lol unlucky about the dozer incident..they paid while its shutdown?

Yeh thatd be great if you could post it up ryno!! Any info I can get, the more the better! :D

Cheers guys, appreciate the replies :yes:

Yeah mate alot of ppl FIFO out of brissy to mackay then get the company bus to work. You can salary sacrifice the flights too.

Still get paid when that happens when ever there is an incident just stop work and wait for the go ahead to get back to work. Alpha won't be starting for maybe 1-2 years away.. There are a few owner operators up here mate BMA, BMC, Peabody, Rio Tinto also the big contractors working for them like Downer, Thiess, Leightons

• I <3 Floods
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 23d

Plenty of Maccas in Rocky.. THey are a license to print money though.. Some of the biggest turn overs in the country.

Plus I happen to know of a 300 room motel accomodation high rise being built with no self contained rooms or food service facility..

With only 1 cafe in walking distance.. and it's booked out by the LNG construction once it's finished.. Opening a maccas within walking distance of that sucker would be awesome.

• Idiot Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 3d

Ask yourself are you in it for money or the actual work. A lot like myself love the work and the machines. Those for the money don't last long.

I have trained many to operate various machines but most have been new truck operators. Its easy to drive the machine but to be excellent takes a long time.

A truck is the bottom rung for mining opeators and as thier time an experience progresses so does the machines they will operate.

For operators Coal(qld/nsw) and Iron(wa) pay the most atm.

Most Iron has longer FIFO shifts for same or a little more money. Overtime not taken into account.

Some small outfits in coal have a longer shift also. Generaly coal is an even time roster, 4/4, 5/5, 7/7 or staggered variations.

QLD coal runs inland from down Gladstone way to up near Bowen. All the downs differ but are good bases to do a bus in bus out roster.

For a few years while on 7/7 I flew Bris to Mackay but got tired of it and moved back to Mackay. My Brother inlaw currently car shares from the Sunshine coast to Rocky then gets the bus to Moranbah.

To live in the mining towns like Moranbah/Dysart/Middlemount is hugely expensive unless subsidised by the big miners.

Camp life while on shift is good. Rooms now days are ensuited with foxtel provided. Meals are great. Days of communal showers are gone.

NSW coal is in the Hunter valley and is all residential. so you go home after your shift everyday.

The big mine owner companys are: BHP/BMC/BMA, RioTinto/Coal and Allied, Xstrata, Anglo coal, Peabody, Vale

Mine contractor companys include: Downer EDI mining, Leightons, Thiess, John Holland, Macmahons and a few more. Some are total mine contracts while others are set project contracts.

Melbourne is too far away for commuting and even trying to get a start in NSW or QLD. Most want people close to thier bus zones or live close. Its part of thier fatique management.

Small and some big contractors Ive seen take Green(new) people because of friends they know there and also sometimes just random picks.

The big miners run assessment centres. Generaly a whole day thing with interviews, maths/englishg tests, psych tests and team activities. Ive seen unskilled people come through just on attitude and how well they have done on that day alone.

You want to look for ads offering operator traineeships and new to industry opportunities - online

WA employers want a HR licence but QLD and NSW just a Manual Car licence.

Problem at the moment with the "closure" of BMA's Norwich park mine is the market is flooded with highly skilled operators.

Operators are transient anyway, changing work to different pits often. Generally for money or working conditions.

KCGM at the superpit in WA is also a way to get started operating. Lower pay and sh*t roster but stick it out for a bit then change.

• Like 2

• Idiot Member
  • Donating Members

Hail creek Mine NQLD, Taking the seam of coal - Dragline and cloud from a blast in the background

IMG_0042.jpg

• Idiot Member
  • Donating Members

Komatsu 960E

IMG_0093.jpg

Komatsu 960E beside Caterpillar 793D

IMG_0104.jpg

960E is the physically largest current mine truck. The Caterpillar 797 carries a little more weight though.

Edited by RynoF6