Noises Giving Me The sh*ts

rob666

• Member For: 13y 9m 6d

2010 FG Manual XR6T Ute - 22k on the clock

For most of its life it's made all sorts of noises. In particular is the creak/knock in the back whenever I take off (at any speed) or come to a stop, or go over a bump.

It would slowly get worse over time. I would take it to Fraud, and they'd do the general tightening up in the rear. Drive away, no noise.

Comes back a few weeks later, over time getting worse until I take it back for it's routine tighten (what a joke).

Until this weekend. Was helping a mate move as his apartment flooded (guess he has worse problems than me). So I was putting furniture, etc in the back. Not huge loads, but a load none the less.

Now, it is ridiculous. Loud creaks and knocks, 100 times more frequent. Any sort of bumpy road, you'll know about it with these noises. It's bloody hard to explain, but just imagine someone under the car whacking the rear axle with a block of wood. Best description I could think of.

This is the big one that is bothering me now (among so many other noises).

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 5m 27d

Could be the curse of the bent axle a lot of people talk about, there is something on it in a thread somewhere. Ford will tell you you must of hit a gutter to get out of fixing it.

• You've changed man....
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 3m 22d

Is there someone under there hitting it with a piece of wood?

My car makes so many noises. It has character.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 4m 27d

Could be a lot of things. Exhaust hitting, centre bearing gone, diff clunk....

Maybe ask ford what they have tightened in the past to fix the noise. Might give you an idea where to start looking.

• Member For: 13y 9m 6d

Could be the curse of the bent axle a lot of people talk about, there is something on it in a thread somewhere. Ford will tell you you must of hit a gutter to get out of fixing it.

Thinking this one?

Yup I posted that last year. Said it was a bent axle.

They're going to hate me there but I'm taking it back to get it sorted. Also makes a really bad drone at 110km/h but that's another story.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 22d

If you wheels show any rash they will say you hit a curb and bent the axle.