Fg Xr6T With Xr8 Snorkel Lower Airbox K&n Filter

• Member For: 18y 6m 2d

Hi guys,

I did a bit of research into the changes in sound and power after fitting the XR8 snorkel with lower airbox and k&n filter to the FG XR6T..... I wasn't really able to find too much info on this and the things that I did find didn't really answer my questions, so I thought I'd post something up for all to see.

I mainly wanted to find out what change in induction noise I would get and if I would get any noticeable increase in power.

Yesterday I fitted the kit from FTG Auto that sells on Ebay for $285 + I purchased a k&n filter seperately which I picked up for $77 but will normally cost you around $100 from an auto store.

It will take no more than 30 minutes to fit and you only need the below:

Torx allen key or screwdriver set (only 1 needed, but they generally come as a set)

8mm Spanner

7mm Spanner

Phillips head Screwdriver

Power

I have noticed a little more mid range urgency... It tends to wheelspin a little more aggresively coming onto boost. Haven't really had a chance to test top end yet, but I can't imagine there would be any notable gain.

Sound

I am very dissapointed to report that the difference in sound is minimal at best.... It's only full throttle that you notice any change at all, and you kinda need to listen out for it.

I am a bit pissed off to be honest, because the main reason I bought it is to get a better induction sound. Before anyone mentions growler kits etc, I wanted to keep this as as standard as possible so that there was no drilling or modifications (can be put back to bog stock without knowing there was any change for factory warranty).

Is there anything I can do hotside to increase induction sound that is easily reversible to stock (ie. no cutting or drilling)

Cheers

Pkaboo

• Skid Machine
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 11m 1d

Basically that big cone you see on the left of your engine bay is u muffler. Take it off and you'll get more noise. You'll never get a lot with an air box though. You need a proper intake to get full induction noise.

• Three pedals are better then two..
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 30d

Yeah removing the cone with a standard intake will probably make more noise then what you did but having both should be pretty noticeable. But don't expect it to sound as good as a car with an airbox running more boost.

And for the record hot side and cold side piping is a reference to the piping before (hot side) and after (cold side) the inter cooler. Everything before entering the turbo is called the Intake. Just so you don't get confused later on.

• Member For: 18y 6m 2d

Thanks for the info Dillz

I did know the turbo hotside coldside thing, I'm not sure why I posted that... Must have been on crack.. lol. I think I meant turbo side.

I really haven't noticed any change from the airbox and K&N change, but do you think there would definitely be a notable difference if I replaced that cone intake pipe as well?

Has anyone done this, how did it sound?

So is there anywhere besides Rapid Systems to get the prefab intake pipe.... Somewhere local in Adelaide if anyone knows a place?? I checked Exhaust Technology and Marks pricing was going to be way out!

Cheers