What Tyres Are You Using?

diomedes

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 16d

just had Nitto NT05 fitted this morning , 245 F and 275 R. Initial impressions are very good, slightly more road noise than the Yokohama AVS103 they replace but heaps more traction...and that's with less than 20klms on them. The Yokies, although still having tread were completely shot and could not hold 2nd gear kick down or even rolling WOT in 2nd without spinning both and stepping out big time.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 17d

I have used the original Dunlop sport maxx, bridgestone RE01, Falken FK452 and FK952 and Nitto Invo's. By far the best tyres so far in all wet grip, dry grip, longevity and quietness would have to go to the Nitto Invo's. Fantastic tyre from my experience. Followed closely by the Falken FK452 which is a bit noiser and almost as good in the wet.

Pretty get price at $290 each at 245/35/19 fitted.

• Member For: 11y 5m 13d

achilles ATR sport 245/40/18 $130 each fitted at JAX , can launch my fgt upto 2000rpm and take off. Still holdn up good after a few skids too many.

if your a responsible driver and dont waste rubber via skids than go for pilot super sports @ tirerack.com

ATR sport best bang for buck, cheap to replace after having some fun :D

Edited by sct911

• Member For: 12y 3m 12d

Done 20000 thou so far on orig dunlops 19's even wear and allways have them pumped 38 but they drive me nuts in the cold weather they struggle to grip and breaks out traction ! Warmer weather not a prob . What is a good tyre to replace the dunlops ??

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 3m 10d

Mate read this thread, been answered plenty of times, your thread was even merged into this one since the answers are here.

Its not hard to get a better tyre then the stock dunlops, they are rubbish, best grip I got out of them was just before I replaced them and ran them at 34psi.

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 11m 24d

My impressions on what I've used so far. Keep in mind my daily 6 speed BA XR6T is not tuned but I do tend to drive very aggressively when I hit the twisties.

Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2s. A great all round tyre. They last long, are good in the wet and stick well in the dry. Best tyre to use for your fronts if you don't get excessive camber wear. Bonus is the wall has a lip which will hang out and protect your rim from gutter rash. Make sure you get the ones made in Germany.

Pilot P Zeros. Great sticky tyre. Very expensive and also very noisy. Currently using these on my front wheels. I gave them a crack in an attempt to help curb the understeer my BA suffers going through the hills to which they've helped. For the price you're better off with the Eagles or Nittos unless you plan on going to the track.

Nitto Invo. 60% of the price of the Eagles but wear out significantly quicker. Not quite as good as the Eagles in the wet. Also once they get below 50% wear they don't hold up anywhere near as well as the Eagles do. Best Bang for your buck tyre if you get camber wear but still want something that grips well.

Achilles ATR are what I've just thrown on the rears now after quite a few members have raved on about them. I paid $130 a corner fitted and balanced. These tyres are the cheapest I've used so far and it is quite noticeable. They do last really long but you don't get anywhere near as much grip compared to the other options. In the wet they don't hold up as well as the others.

At the end of the day what you pay is what you get. There couldn't be more relevant phrase when talking about tyres.

Edited by _Velocity_

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 10y 10m

Morning all. Looking to replace my Dunlop Speedmax 240/40 x 18 on my FG Turbo.

Managed almost 40k from a set of 4 to date.

Is that fairly typical? A few tyre retailers are suggesting alternative brands (Falken, Pirelli & Kumo) to get better mileage.

Any thoughts out there re the above?

thanks