Tutorial - Gauge Install

Gussa

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 10d

For those with autometer cobalt electric gauges, do your gauges needles return to zero when you turn the engine off?

Mine stay where they where before the engine is turned off ( displaying the reading from when the engine was running), seems uncle google thinks that's ok coz electric. Maybe im just used to my old cheapie gauges with open & close ceremonys which would zero every time. thoughts?

• Member For: 12y 2m 10d

For those with autometer cobalt electric gauges, do your gauges needles return to zero when you turn the engine off?

Mine stay where they where before the engine is turned off ( displaying the reading from when the engine was running), seems uncle google thinks that's ok coz electric. Maybe im just used to my old cheapie gauges with open & close ceremonys which would zero every time. thoughts?

Completely normal. They retain the readings when switched off, then zero & calibrate on power up.
  • Like 1

Rodger that, seemed logical as they dont have a constant and switched power like my cheapies,only the switched.

Perhaps in 10 years when autometer catch up to taiwan we will see thie zeroing feature.

• 3 weeks later...

So having had cheapie gauges which I struggled to dim because they were led, even tried the potentiometer / resistor approach with no success, I did some research.

I found Autometer make a dimmer module for their led gauges like the cobalts. Its part # 9114, about $38 .

So when the time to update the gauges came I grabbed a dimmer too. Very straight forward install, only 3 wires to connect, and it really works!

I guess it would work with the cheapie gauges with led/smd illumination.

Took a vid , so here goes-

Edited by hawlass

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...
  • less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d

that tends to happen on the internet... at least the OP has (reasonably) recently logged onto this forum, so he might come back and fix the links @Gussa