Weight Training For Beginners

Kv!

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Heh it's seems like longer than 3 weeks since I lifted some weights but the proof is here in the thread!

Apart from testing how strong the missus was the other afternoon, I haven't been out to the shed to lift weights since a few posts above. I did go out there and tidy up and sweep up the other day etc as it gets dusty in there over time and the squat rack slowly moves itself around.

I'm going to get out there today in a couple of hours, even though it's a bit hot, test my 1rms and then construct a program to make some gainz.

I'm expecting my strength to be the same but obviously the endurance will have suffered.

I'm planning to do full body 5x5 training every second day planned with 90% of my 1rm's rather than using 100%. I think that this will build me back up asap and hopefully I can maintain that for 8 weeks give or take.

Haha I'll jump back on the caffeine, creatine, fish oil and multivitamins as well cos that sh*t helps me out a lot in the gym ;)

Anyfarkenwayzzzz I'll swing in for a quick update later on after I git er done :)

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Well I got out there and lifted some sh*t up and put it back down again. It was 32 in the shed so kinda too hot but bearable.

After a solid warm up (I found my red band) and plenty of reps in between, I managed to bench 120kg for 1 and squat 150kg for 1.

I didn't have enough left in the legs (endurance lol) to max out on the deadlift so I'll do it tomorrow when I'm fresh. I'm expecting to lift 200kg for a single. I did get some lighter work done though.

I did want to be further along than this after 10 or so months of lifting but for various reasons I'm not. Those maxes are ok for now and I shouldn't have any trouble adding 10-20kg to them over the next couple of months.

I guess we'll see what happens :headbang4:

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Well I only got 190kg for a single. A bit sh*thouse but whatever, it is what it is. I still got enough reps on the way up to make some gainz.

I got the numbers and I've made the program so yerp, get it started on Monday.

• 4 months later...
  • less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

I actually did some higher deadlifts than usual on Saturday. I usually just do 60kg x 40 (3 sets) as part of the my kettlebell workouts. 

I didn't think my 3RM deadlift would be so high at 120kg, based on my mid-workout volume sets :showoff:

Reasonably happy with that outcome :)

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

I did some deadlifts a few days ago. Having not done them for a while I wasn't expecting much.

I warmed up with 20x20 then 10x60, 8x100, 5x120, 3x140, 3x160 then went for 190 and only got it halfway up. Oh well, I haven't done any for ages so ya get that.

Haha it doesn't help to be a fat lazy bastard either :smiliefatbellydancer: Could it be time to get into another program and make some gainz???

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

seems about the right time for it :) (hint: any time is the right time for it)

yeah; I warmed my way up. Did 15x60, 10x80, 7x100 and 3x120. Not sure what my 1RM is, but I'd guess it's about 130kg. For a realistic first attempt at low reps, I'm happy enough.

• 4 weeks later...
  • less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

Didn't bother continuing as I found I aggravated a minor RSI/carpal-tunnel sort of thing in my wrists which was originally caused by being to lackadaisical with my turkish getups (TGU) and maybe a few other movements from ground to standing (and vice-versa), so I got some pain in that area and had to take it really carefully at the gym with my regular stuff and I'm confident that the deadlifting a pretty high weight so quickly caused the aggravation to be noticeable. So, took it easy-ish for a few weeks and I'm back into it as of a week or so ago with my usual stuffing about, but being more cognizant of the fact that I did have it in a minor aggravated state to make sure I avoid any damage. Probably won't go back to powerlifting, as I prefer my own methods to that, other than the noticeable RM'ing.