Would You Reccommend A Ba Xr6T?

glenskates1

• Member For: 12y 5m 6d

Hey guys, im very new here, I figured the best place to ask about them, was here, and not on the NissanSilvia forum where I used to spend my time.

I currently have a 1995 Nissan 200sx Silvia S14. Its a jap 4 cyl turbo with about 230HP to the wheels.

I have someone interested in buying it and I've been eying off many BA XR6T's and XR8's for sometime. But, I think I would prefer a 6 turbo, given the nature and love of my previous car. My car used to be an auto, but then I converted it to a manual as I somehow broke the auto :o

What do you guys use for spirited driving in the xr6T's? I quite like the idea of quick shift in the auto. But, being a manual "drop clutch" kind of person, maybe im better off getting a manual?

Is this an upgrade that could be reccommended? what are some things that can go wrong with a BA xr6T? I've heard diff bushes can be bad even with low KM models.

Thanks for any help, comments, advice or welcomes!

Glen

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 4m

First thing, :hiwelcome:

The BA's are starting to get a bit long in the tooth now. The oldest ones are now 10 years old and no matter how well looked after they are, they're probably going to have little rattles or niggles. If you can stretch to a BF, it would be a much better car (younger and likely less km's)

If you do go for the BA, don't get the 5-speed manual as it has trouble handling even the stock power. If you go the BF, it's either the 6-speed auto or 6-speed manual. The ZF auto is a really good box, but only you can decide which one you want :drivingalong:

The diff bushes are pretty average on all of the models and most people seem to end up replacing them.

Do you plan on modding the car and what sort of power are you looking at?

Hey! Thanks for the welcome! I live in WA so, any car I get would most likely come from Perth unless getting a car truck delivered seems a reasonable option (but, I cant view it)

Theres quite a few affordable BA's here in WA that are around 100 000km's or slightly less, but, as you said, age is another factor.

Is the quick shift in the auto just a bit of a novelty thing that wears off? because I quite like that appeal. My silvia used to be auto, until I broke it from constantly switching from 1st, 2,d 3rd and drive. It wasnt built for that. So I went manual and liked it. but, from what I hear, I think I'd like a ford auto. Stretching for a BF would be very hard, especially since theyre the most expensive in WA. So, unless I buy one from over east, it would be very hard to get a BF. I've heard all sorts of good things about the ZF boxes and wish I could get one!

I probably wouldnt mod the car to much, probably just CAI, Exhaust, Intercooler, boost controller with gauge and probably a flash tune (if that's the most common tuning technique) I would probably leave it there at the max :)

• I <3 Floods
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 18d

A mate just got his ute shipped to perth from Brisbane.. $1500.. Full insurance and it got cleaned on arrival..

So if you find a cheaper one over east it's not that much of a stretch to get it over there.. Takes about 2 weeks though.

• Three pedals are better then two..
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 24d

As everyone else will say, scrape for a BF or better still BF2 if you can, it will be allot better if you plan to modify later down the track.

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 27d

If you can pick up a BA cheap and have a budget too carry out any maintenace/repairs required you can have a good solid car for bugger all. Especially if you can swing a spanner yourself. If you do go for a BA def go for a MKII and if you want an Auto go for a BF, you will pay quite a bit more for a BF so that can bite into your mod budget.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 4m
Hey! Thanks for the welcome! I live in WA so, any car I get would most likely come from Perth unless getting a car truck delivered seems a reasonable option (but, I cant view it) Theres quite a few affordable BA's here in WA that are around 100 000km's or slightly less, but, as you said, age is another factor.

100,000 km's isn't too bad for a BA. Make sure you check that they've had there servicing done though.

Is the quick shift in the auto just a bit of a novelty thing that wears off? because I quite like that appeal. My silvia used to be auto, until I broke it from constantly switching from 1st, 2,d 3rd and drive. It wasnt built for that. So I went manual and liked it. but, from what I hear, I think I'd like a ford auto.

The ZF Auto has Sports Shift which is designed for going 1,2,3,4,5,6, etc. and you can flick it back to Drive at any time and the computer takes over.

The 1,2,3,D in your Silvia I think is similar to what's in my EBII Falcon. It's designed for holding gear up/down hills particuarly when towing but not for manually shifting through the gears. For example, having it in '3' tells the computer to go no higher than third gear but it will use 1 or 2 if it wants to.

The Sports Shift in the new Falcon's will hold the gear you select like a manual. So, if you select '3', it will hold third gear and won't go higher or lower. Eventually it will shift one up or down if the revs go to high/low though.

I've heard all sorts of good things about the ZF boxes and wish I could get one! I probably wouldnt mod the car to much, probably just CAI, Exhaust, Intercooler, boost controller with gauge and probably a flash tune (if that's the most common tuning technique) I would probably leave it there at the max :)

Have a read of this thread from LUXJET http://www.fordxr6tu...r-fg-xr6-turbo/

Note that it's a guide for FG Falcon's which have stronger internals from factory. For a BA, you will need Valve Springs straight away.

Thanks for all the help guys! if I get a BF, I fear it will have to be from over east, where I cant actually see the car. If I get a BA, I can however, get it cheap enough and with under 100 000km's, to probably straight away take it to get valve springs, exhaust and CAI. (how much is it for these 3?)

can the 4 speed auto quick shift hold the gears as well to that certain extent? and in general, with the quick shift, what is the rev limit on the xr6T's? will it hit limiter a few times before the computer decides to take over? (drifting aspect in mind, not that I do that, just curous otherwise I suppose its not very manualised)

Thanks for the talk about the silvia gearbox, I think that's how I broke it, from constantly shifting from 1, 2, 3, to drive

• loitering with intent
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 8m

Valve springs will set you back ~ $800 fitted. 300 - 330 rwkw is the max I would push an a BA motor,

the btr 4 speed will probably need a rebuild if you mod the car. Clutch packs , bands and valve body mods.

Speak to Simon at XFT , you can read about him in the Advertisers section