In The Club

Bomber

• Member For: 10y 2d
3 hours ago, Bomber said:

Initial contact with the company is A1. Very professional. That 69mm bad boy has their custom rear turbine to overcome backpressure issues where others have tried, but failed.

I'm not totally locked in on the wheel size. I've given them my requirements so will let them build what they think is the best combo. It won't be less than the 62 of course and might be a 6+6 configuration or 11 blade. I'd like a little bit of head room but don't want something that isn't really in peak efficiency until its got 20+ up it either. It's always a compromise so hopefully will land in the middle zone somewhere. 18psi and 400rwkw on 98 would be mint.

Are you going to use their new 9 blade design turbine wheel as well mate?

I'm thinking along similar lines myself, maybe the 64mm wheel with .7 comp housing.

18pound for 400rwkw with reasonable response would be very nice.

• Like 1

• Member For: 12y 2m 14d
Yeah I don't get the twin turbo nizpoo at all, Whats the point?? apart from draining your wallet of course

The twin efr setup is actually very smart and will outflow a big single all day long with none of the drawbacks. The effectiveness of twin efr7163's are spoken about by a lot of the most highly regarded Japanese workshops for the big power RB's, so why not do it for a barra?

They were never going to go faster without going smaller twins to make the power. And believe me when I say this thing makes power! I've seen the the dyno charts before the new engine with billet crank etc was used and holy sh*t it's making some mumbo. Let just say it's well well north of 1000hp...

I'd do it if I had the money, wicked spool and midrange with crazy top end. Remember, these efr's are no ordinary turbocharger!

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 13d
1 minute ago, demon1300 said:

none of the drawbacks

cost and complexity are unavoidable drawbacks of a twin vs single system :spoton:

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 25d
50 minutes ago, demon1300 said:

They were never going to go faster without going smaller twins to make the power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l37yLcS3KDw

51 minutes ago, demon1300 said:

Let just say it's well well north of 1000hp... emoji6.png

Never on boost and when it is it's a smokeshow.

Sounds like something that would be perfectly usable in a street environment  ;)

cost and complexity are unavoidable drawbacks of a twin vs single system :spoton:
Agree, but we all know that they've never spared expenses in the past chasing records. Let's be honest, if you want to be even in this league, you don't have a budget, nor should you. I wasn't considering cost at all in my 'drawbacks' statement, as it's really not a drawback for guys like this.

Never on boost and when it is it's a smokeshow.
Sounds like something that would be perfectly usable in a street environment  
You can't effectively run a GTX55 on a streetcar and expect it to be fast. At least with the twins you'd get the same outright power and almost no lag. It'd be plenty streetable. Area under the curve people!

• MattyP
  • Cruise Control
  • Member For: 11y 11m 19d

Those twins have half the amount of the exhaust flow to get them spooling, plus you have doubled bearing resistance, added weight, etc 

These barras are torquey motors, with the standard like cams anything is streetable, the change in the 1/4 mile time says it all

I think your under estimating how well these gamma Ti wheels spool. You will NOT find a single turbo setup that makes the power these would in a twin configuration and make boost as early or be as drivable on the street.

In this cars case, the 1/4 mile times mean jack sh*t, the cars still running a ZF off the foot brake for crying out loud. The fact that it's run 163mph in this weight car, should be enough of a indicator just how much power it's making.

• Carnage on the Garage Floor
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 11m 12d

I've already got a full custom high-mount and v banded housing so it will be getting a turbo to suit that.

It arrived in Vic today actually - they called to confirm. I said again that I'm not set on the configuration and will be guided by them so once they've pulled it apart, we'll talk again.

At this stage I think I'll be running the original turbine. I'm not sure if we'll go a big enough wheel to justify the upgrade. I don't believe it touched the housing so should be fine to reuse.

My thinking at this stage is a 63mm wheel in maybe a 6+6. Mainly because, they traditionally aren't a high pressure wheel (for peak efficiency) and tend to come on earlier than an equivalent sized 11 blade. Think Precision 6235 v GTX 3582R. I think they sound hornier too :) Anyhoo, that's just me spit ballin. At the end of the day they'll build what works.

Edited by Bomber
  • Like 5

• MattyP
  • Cruise Control
  • Member For: 11y 11m 19d
4 hours ago, demon1300 said:

I think your under estimating how well these gamma Ti wheels spool. You will NOT find a single turbo setup that makes the power these would in a twin configuration and make boost as early or be as drivable on the street.

In this cars case, the 1/4 mile times mean jack sh*t, the cars still running a ZF off the foot brake for crying out loud. The fact that it's run 163mph in this weight car, should be enough of a indicator just how much power it's making. emoji106.png

Imagine if it only had 1 gamma Ti wheel to spool.. Now doubt its high powered but parallel twins just dont make sense especially on a straight 6