Welcome to Ford XR6 Turbo.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Timmy-XR6T

Known Issues Fg Xr6T

325 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi guys - with a few of the FG's on the final legs with warranty I thought it would be good to start a new topic.

I wanted to put it out there and see what are the common faults with the FG that I should be looking at getting sorted under warranty.

The only one I was accross was the wrong length bolts on the timing cover resulting in the oil leaking which could be fixed by cutting down the size of the bolts.

Has anybody else come accross any common/known issues?

Edited by Timmy-XR6T

Sedan rear diff bushes.

1 person likes this

lack of traction, too quick to come on boost and jealous ba owners are the only issues ive had. :stirthepot:

10 people like this

Just found out that a rear control arm is knackered on my car. Gotta love warranty.

Check your fog lighs. The lenses go milky coloured. I pod cable. Got knocked back by one hopeless dealer and it's now been replace by another dealer.

..Check your fog lighs. The lenses go milky coloured.

Yep, the earlier ones were crap. Had mine replaced :spoton:

...jealous ba owners are the only issues ive had. :stirthepot:

Yeah, B series cling ons. The bogan upgrade from a VL Late model camira :roflmbo:

1 person likes this

Yep, the earlier ones were crap. Had mine replaced :spoton:

how early are we talking?

mate mine is August 09 build. They changed to a different brand. The replacements don't go 'milky' like the others did.

Posted (edited)

Does the fact the shape is identical and cheapened by the thousands of taxis and rental cars in povo XR6 form count as a fault? :dontknow:

If you want something that gets attention on the road do not buy an FG-T - but they are a very good car and there are excellent deals out there :beerchug:

Edited by CBXRT

lol...right on queue. :bowdown:

Does the fact that there's still thousands of BA/BF taxis getting around make any difference to your myopia?

:threadjacked:

Another thing to add to your list was faulty fuel level senders, rectified early on though.

mate mine is August 09 build. They changed to a different brand. The replacements don't go 'milky' like the others did.

ahh crap mines a mid 09 I think.

will ford replace these for me if they are milky under warranty, if I winge about it? I have noticed a little bit milky but I just thought it was dirty :dontknow:

Whinge away mate - worked for me, lol.

My experience. Aircon unit faulty and replaced; Outside temp sensor faulty and replaced drivers seat(non Leather)squeeky and not replaced all common FG faults. FPV(F6) 6 pot brembo control arms ALL faulty and mine replaced but a lot not!. look through the forums and you will find the common faults. Harry

Only two things wrong with the XRT

BUILD & QUALITY

1 person likes this

My dual zone climate control plays up supposedly a control valve of some sort, dash out job, will get fixed next service

Mine is a mid 09 build and my fog lamps are milky. Am about to book in for a pre end of warranty check. I will be whining about the lenses and expect them to be changed under warranty. Other issues are crap blue tooth phone syncing. I just replaced the metal dust covers behind the back wheels (non turbo's have them on front as well) as they were covered in surface rust. I reckon they should be covered under warranty, but for $12 each, no real drama.

Can't think of anything else atm.

They're fast - not suitable for old farts :turboboink:

Mine is as good as gold, well minus transmission mounts but that's not due to build quality, at least mine is super quick still stock ford should have put better brakes on it, I wouldn't mind paying couple extra grand for it to be factory fitted otherwise car is awesome....

1 person likes this

Only the dual climate problem most get. Warranty, 45mins, done. If my foggies go milky, out they come and some sweet air intake will be made... Never use the buggers!

maybe start a new thread mate, not really the section to ask. lol.

1 person likes this

Engine oil leaks,Trans coolers splitting,6spd auto trans leaks,Diff bushes,Rear control arm outer balljoint bushes,Brake shudder,Bluetooth and Ipod connectivity issues,sh*t radio reception,Busted heater flaps,Heater modules,Passenger side mirror ambient temp sensors die and the Milky fog lights as mentioned. Theres still more but that should get you started with things to look out for.

1 person likes this

HIM module for air con etc.

axle tramp

32000klms in 12 mths, Ours has been stellar ! Love it !

Mine is a mid 09 build and my fog lamps are milky. Am about to book in for a pre end of warranty check. I will be whining about the lenses and expect them to be changed under warranty. Other issues are crap blue tooth phone syncing. I just replaced the metal dust covers behind the back wheels (non turbo's have them on front as well) as they were covered in surface rust. I reckon they should be covered under warranty, but for $12 each, no real drama.

Can't think of anything else atm.

Update on this post:

Fog lamp lenses, bent glove box lid and loose door rubber all replaced under warranty. They reckon the blue tooth issue is due to a module upgrade needed as at time of build the current one was the latest technology. Due to phone technology moving ahead it needs to be upgraded = $620.00. I declined the offer to upgrade and it seems they've done some kind of reset and the problem has gone anyway. Bluetooth issue has disappeared.

Was pretty happy until I noticed the bent front number plate due to it being reversed into or wedged up against something.....can't prove it so no point whining.

They're fast - not suitable for old farts :turboboink:

Am I an old fart?