Rear Wheel Bearings On A Ba

Sh00tme!

• Member For: 13y 2m 5d

Hi Guys,

Over the past 2 weeks or so I've noticed a humming from the rear of my 03BA (under load while cornering), after a quick call into fraud they informed me that it was the rear wheel bearings and that they need replacing.... @ $598 a side :censored:

After a quick session on Google and asking a mechanic mate I found CBC Bearings where I could pick up 2 sets of rear bearings & new rear hubs for $560.

Now the only drama is fitting them. Any1 done this job b4? any pointers ?

correction just got the bearings and hubs today $485 for both sides :spoton:

I am hoping its like the fronts where you can literally pull the old off and put a new on. But because its IRS rear I have a feeling its not going to be as simple.

a massive press? my old man's got a 10t press in the shed ... should be enough to press new bearings onto the new hubs ? apparently ford has a "specialty" tool to remove the old bearings from the hubs without damaging the backing plate ? (mechanic mate of mine's words) so I am hoping the bearing and hub isn't pressed onto the backing now :blink:

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 5d

They are. 10tn should do it. I dont know what the "special" tool is but I wouldnt be suprised if its designed to support the upright while the hub and bearing is pressed out as its and odd shape and only cast so it could easily be bent if pressure is applied in the wrong spot.

Job Fail. :censored:

got everything taken off down to sliding the knuckle off the half shaft to no avail, seems to be rock solid onto the half shaft and I'm not about to pull the half shaft out of the diff to then press it away from the knuckle ...

so now I have put everything back on, gotten the camber and toe set as best I could (with eye) and am now bracing myself to max out the credit card and get ford to do it :bangcomputer:

• Member For: 15y 8m 12d

Job Fail. :censored:

got everything taken off down to sliding the knuckle off the half shaft to no avail, seems to be rock solid onto the half shaft and I'm not about to pull the half shaft out of the diff to then press it away from the knuckle ...

so now I have put everything back on, gotten the camber and toe set as best I could (with eye) and am now bracing myself to max out the credit card and get ford to do it :bangcomputer:

Take it a Ford dealer and you'll pay sh*tloads.

Take it to a taxi workshop, they do this stuff all the time.

Your user info says that you're in Brisbane. Contact Jastel on www.fordforums.com.au (very knowledgeable taxi mechanic). I think he's on the Gold Coast - see if he can do it or if he can recommend a workshop in Brisbane.

Edited by PhilMeUp

• Member For: 16y 1m 27d

The halfshaft usually needs a good spray in the splines with some crc and a good belt with a copper hammer.. Screw the nut on the shaft till its flush with the end and belt it. This way wont damage threads. The shafts are never easy to come out of the hub. Once youve done that,you still need to press the hub apart to replace bearing. If only they were as easy as the front lol.

The halfshaft usually needs a good spray in the splines with some crc and a good belt with a copper hammer.. Screw the nut on the shaft till its flush with the end and belt it. This way wont damage threads. The shafts are never easy to come out of the hub. Once youve done that,you still need to press the hub apart to replace bearing. If only they were as easy as the front lol.

Yeah used a good amount of CRC and tried hitting the hell outta it with a hammer, ended up grabbing a puller outta the old man shed, ended up bending 2 of the arms on it straight! there only rated to a ton....

Its at ford atm I got some holidays from work paid out so it should cover it. just annoying.

Problem Sorted! $1200 Lighter (with a wheel alignment on all 4 wheels) found out that whoever had done the bearings last time didn't line the splines up and absolutely destroyed the hubs. luckily the hubs are weaker than the half shafts