Please Support our site Advertisers. If you would like to Advertise please contact us using our Contact Form.

Welcome to FordXR6Turbo.com

Welcome to Ford XR6 Turbo.com, the Original Community dedicated to the XR6 Turbo. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information.

Benefits of joining Ford XR6 Turbo.com include:

• Features such as Photo Gallery, TimeSlips, Blog and the Garage.
  • Monthly Cruises and Events Australia Wide for Enthusiasts
  • Dedicated Technical Forums
  • Sponsor Discussion Forums
  • Member Classifieds
  • Live Chat
Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fg Xr6T Ute Is A Lemon

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jtlemon

jtlemon

Training Wheels

• Inactive Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
    • Time Online: 1h 28m 39s
  • Joined 3 Years, 11 Months and 16 Days

Posted 06 August 2011 - 06:02 AM

Was the proud owner of a 2009 FG XR6t ute. Until the vibrations started. At idle (500rpm) the whole exhaust vibrates through the car. Its horrendous. Its embarresing, and I have to sit with my foot on the gas so that it idles higher or turn up my radio. To give you the extent of the rattle my girlfriend said it gave her a headache the other day.

Ford Australia got back to me and said it ‘was a characteristic of the car’ and that no fix for it had been found. That was 12 months ago, the other day I called the useless people at Sunshine Ford on the Gold Coast and they said the same thing (after ‘Stacey’ only asking another staff member and not calling ford australia like I requested from him. They also said if I get it chipped to idle 250rpm higher it could void the warranty. But this Ford warranty does squat for me anyways? so whats the point? I have been hesitant over buying an Aussie built ford or holden and as my first experience with one I can say NEVER AGAIN. As an aussie I am embarresed to say that we can’t make cars for sh#t, or honour our warranties. A severe lack of responsibility and integrity from FORD. And SUNSHINE FORD on the GOLD COAST, and STACEY that works there, are equally useless.

I’m going to release a Youtube movie next. WOOP WOOP

If Anyone has the same problem, join my facebook page:
Link removed as it just sends you to your Facebook homepage.

Edited by Dagabond, 10 September 2011 - 10:42 AM.

• neotim likes this

#2 OFFLINE   234Fpv

234Fpv

• Donating Members
  • 540 posts
    • Time Online: 7d 5h 8m 48s
  • Joined 3 Years, 4 Months and 15 Days
Garage View Garage
Donator

Posted 06 August 2011 - 06:56 AM

That sucks. I can honestly say that I have only had minor problems with my car and they have all been fixed. I bought the car in emerald and they did a lot of dodgy repairs that were picked up and fixed properly by ford in mackay. Have you contacted the office of fair trading? Surely it can't be too hard to find the problem for something so minor (faulty ecu or sensor?). I know it would annoy the sh*t out of me to be embarrassed driving such a nice car. Hope you get it sorted mate

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
2008 FG F6 403.8rwkw. PW stage 2 intercooler kit, stainless intake, 4" turbo back xforce exhaust, 1000cc xspurt injectors and ported turbo. Tuned by Dave Sheehy CPV

#3 OFFLINE   JVK

JVK

• Gold DM
  • 600 posts
    • Time Online: 32d 19h 20m 6s
  • Joined 8 Years, 11 Months and 5 Days

Donator

Posted 06 August 2011 - 06:57 AM

If your not happy with the dealer go direct to ford customer service. There should be a contact number in one of the vehicles handbooks.

#4 OFFLINE   The Outsider

The Outsider

• Donating Members
  • 1,269 posts
    • Time Online: 41d 17h 15m 23s
  • Joined 3 Years, 6 Months and 8 Days

Donator

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:16 AM

mine has a very slight, and I mean very VERY slight vibration at idle.
hardly enough to bother even going to the dealer about.
might ask autotech about it at my next service, though I suspect when I get it tuned it will probably go away anyway.

this vibration at idle is nowhere near as annoying as the stupid glovebox rattle :icon_ford:

WHO DELETED MY SIG?

#5 OFFLINE   jtlemon

jtlemon

Training Wheels

• Inactive Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
    • Time Online: 1h 28m 39s
  • Joined 3 Years, 11 Months and 16 Days

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:04 AM

Thanks for your feedback guys. I sent ford australia a nasty email so I will see if they care to get back to me. It started as a slight vibration and now like I said its very embarrasing. I'm not expecting too much back from them unless I can really hold one person accountable, they all like to hide behind the big blue badge where its easy to not take responsibility for any one thing. I guess the funny part is that my real last name is LEMON, not even kidding. I can see the print media articles already......haha

#6 OFFLINE   Dillz

Dillz

Three pedals are better then two..

• Lifetime Members
  • 16,798 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 5 Months and 28 Days
Garage View Garage
Donator

Contributor

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:10 AM

Might just be a loose join in the exhaust somewhere? Can't say I've ever heard of it before on an XRT.

Auto's are like arseholes... everyone's got one and they usually turn to sh*t.

Ballistic Cat Group Buy Here (3x3x5 inch body, 100 cell) http://www.fordxr6tu.../page__st__1400

#7 OFFLINE   Adam

Adam

Here since the start...

• Moderating Team
  • 12,366 posts
    • Time Online: 110d 14h 33s
  • Joined 11 Years, 6 Months and 27 Days
Garage View Garage
Donator

Contributor

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:24 AM

An exhaust vibration doesn't make a car a lemon.
A lemon car is one that continually has many problems. It just never ends.
You have one problem.

I can't imagine the exhaust rattling would be too hard to fix. Sounds like a fitment issue, but surely the dealer would've checked for that?

#8 OFFLINE   f6mark

f6mark

I live me lyf 8F at a time bro lol

• 3,154 posts
    • Time Online: 63d 1h 25m 47s
  • Joined 3 Years, 9 Months and 9 Days

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:39 AM

mate. take it to metro ford in Brisbane mate. I bought a BF F6 from sunshine ford 2years ago. had thing but trouble with them.. GO TO METRO FORD MATE. :icon_ford:

2010 fg f6 405rwks 18psi. tuned by  Hi Torque performance. SOLD.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               2012 fpv f6 build #454 274rwks stock                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

#9 OFFLINE   ubute

ubute

• 175 posts
    • Time Online: 7d 11h 44m 54s
  • Joined 9 Years, 1 Month and 25 Days

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:37 AM

Just one fault doesn't make it a lemon.

My ute used to do the exact same thing. Ford said there was nothing wrong with it so I got underneath and had a look around and managed to fix it myself in 3 minutes. There's a thread here somewhere about the dreaded rattle and I think I had put pics up of my fix. The rattle/vibration is permanently gone now.
FG XR6 TURBO UTE - Tuned by FoMoCo

#10 OFFLINE   Rancidpunx

Rancidpunx

Brisbanes Resident Detailer

• Donating Members
  • 1,020 posts
    • Time Online: 10d 1h 14m 3s
  • Joined 5 Years, 10 Months and 3 Days

Donator

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:48 AM

Also check the idler pulley and tensioner. Sounds stupid but my vibration has been fixed by replacing those items.

... GT RSpec ...

Preloved

... 09 FG Turbo 2 Door ...

#11 OFFLINE   bunna

bunna

• Donating Members
  • 826 posts
    • Time Online: 12d 11h 32m 36s
  • Joined 8 Years, 2 Months and 29 Days

Donator

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:36 PM

Check your park brake cables to make sure they're not fouling your exhaust. Sounds to me like you're not whinging to the right people.

Current: 2011 Orion F6 Sedan

Vanish - Manual - Leather - Tinted - Tickled @ Pit Lane Performance

Had: 2008 Orion XR6T Sedan
Nitro ZF Auto Tuned by Pit Lane Performance 

#12 OFFLINE   saba

saba

• 50 posts
    • Time Online: 1d 5h 55m 48s
  • Joined 5 Years, 7 Months and 22 Days

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:14 AM

wow I have the same problem and the service advisor said the exact samething to me "characteristics of the car"

if you replace the exhaust, does it fix the problem?

#13 OFFLINE   mickgibbo

mickgibbo

• 41 posts
    • Time Online: 3h 29m 43s
  • Joined 5 Years, 5 Months and 4 Days

Posted 05 September 2011 - 06:38 PM

Hey,

I have the same problem with my May 2009 FG XR6 Ute with 75,000km on the clock. It sounds strong when idleing in 'D' and not in park although the revs are similar.

I had it at Ford last week for the 75k service and they said they couldn't find it, however they "tightened the exhaust". Since then it has been louder. The service manager said if it continues, don't hesitate to bring in back in, which I am doing tomorrow.

From my lack of car knowledge and listening to where it is comming from, it could be a broken baffel which only vibrate at the correct RPM.

I will let you know how I go.

Regards,

Michael.

#14 OFFLINE   ubute

ubute

• 175 posts
    • Time Online: 7d 11h 44m 54s
  • Joined 9 Years, 1 Month and 25 Days

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:53 AM

Mine used to do it really bad. Ford said they couldn't see anything wrong with it so I got the sh*ts and had a look myself one weekend. Fixed it in 10 seconds with a shifter by taking a bit of slack out of the handbrake cable.

My fix is HERE with a pic.

One year on now and the noise is still permanantly gone!!
FG XR6 TURBO UTE - Tuned by FoMoCo

#15 OFFLINE   cruiser85

cruiser85

• Inactive Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
    • Time Online: 1d 5h 7m 8s
  • Joined 3 Years, 11 Months and 22 Days

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:13 PM

I have a late 09 ute and no problems whatsoever - the idler pulley I got replaced under warranty cos it was a little noisy but since then it runs fine!

I too have heard of the handbrake cable issue.
Current : 09 FG Turbo Ute,Landcruiser Sahara 60 factory turbo, 03 KTM 250 EXC 2T

Past: Starion turbo,180sx,R32 GTSt,R33 GTSt,JZX100 Chaser, Nissan Cefiro,Toyota Supra JZA80,Lancer Evo VI,LWB GQ Patrol, MK3 Toyota Supra,VZ Commodore, 100 Series Landcruiser,2 x 60 series Landcruisers - to name a few not including all the sh*tboxes ie VLs, R31s, KE70 Corollas,Datsuns haha!

#16 OFFLINE   Vibraute

Vibraute

Training Wheels

• Inactive Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
    • Time Online: 2h 53m 28s
  • Joined 3 Years, 2 Months and 14 Days

Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:07 AM

Joined this forum specifically for this problem. 2008 FG XR6T Ute with 30,000km is chattering my teeth at idle. Same problem as others - severe vibration at low revs, goes away once revs reaches a certain point. CityFord in Sydney advise Ford is aware of the problem and are awaiting a 'fix'.
That has been 12 months. No fix.

Have read the handbrake cables issue here and think I will persue that.

Jtlemon have you had any luck in resolving?

#17 OFFLINE   baxr6ute

baxr6ute

• 69 posts
    • Time Online: 3d 5h 33m
  • Joined 7 Years, 2 Months and 4 Days

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:47 PM

Well guys your not alone I have a 2008 ute (brought 09 with 11k on it) and when living in Adelaide has ford investegate they replaced exhaust but guess what still there.Move to Townsville 2010 went to local dealer here told them could not hear no noise I have traced it back to support bar in the rear mud guard area when I hold it it stops so now I dont worry about it more worried about the thing surging and a noisy diff I think its something to do with the LSD cones but still love it...

#18 OFFLINE   j.d

j.d

• 1,243 posts
    • Time Online: 19d 1h 4m 52s
  • Joined 4 Years, 3 Months and 27 Days

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:03 AM

08 fg manual ute, also had that vibration noise, as soon as I started modding it went away! Haven't had a problem Since

#19 OFFLINE   Dillz

Dillz

Three pedals are better then two..

• Lifetime Members
  • 16,798 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 5 Months and 28 Days
Garage View Garage
Donator

Contributor

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:19 PM

Well there you go, that's as good as excuse as any Posted Image
  • Sleepr likes this

Auto's are like arseholes... everyone's got one and they usually turn to sh*t.

Ballistic Cat Group Buy Here (3x3x5 inch body, 100 cell) http://www.fordxr6tu.../page__st__1400

#20 OFFLINE   Paulie2256

Paulie2256

• Donating Members
  • 7,678 posts
    • Time Online: 159d 2h 30m 27s
  • Joined 6 Years and 1 Day

Donator

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:53 PM

after market exhaust... the fix to all vibration issues.

#21 OFFLINE   chevZ

chevZ

• Inactive Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
    • Time Online: 1d 1h 27m 53s
  • Joined 3 Years, 5 Months and 15 Days

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:04 PM

I have an aftermarket exhaust on mine and it has none of these problems, however on cold starts it will vibrate quite hard for about 10-30 seconds, but that really bother me.
[L3GALLMT]
FG XR6 Turbo Anniversary 50th 'XR50' Edition.
Sunburst - ZF Auto - Ute

#22 OFFLINE   saba

saba

• 50 posts
    • Time Online: 1d 5h 55m 48s
  • Joined 5 Years, 7 Months and 22 Days

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:23 PM

I have an aftermarket exhaust on mine and it has none of these problems, however on cold starts it will vibrate quite hard for about 10-30 seconds, but that really bother me.

what sort of aftermarket exhaust did you put on yours chevZ and how much it cost?????

#23 OFFLINE   chevZ

chevZ

• Inactive Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
    • Time Online: 1d 1h 27m 53s
  • Joined 3 Years, 5 Months and 15 Days

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:04 PM

what sort of aftermarket exhaust did you put on yours chevZ and how much it cost?????

I meant that doesnt really bother me, english fail! lol

um I bought ute with it on there but it looks twin 2.5" to me and previous owner said it was 1200
[L3GALLMT]
FG XR6 Turbo Anniversary 50th 'XR50' Edition.
Sunburst - ZF Auto - Ute

#24 OFFLINE   schmick325

schmick325

• 68 posts
    • Time Online: 4h 6m 2s
  • Joined 5 Years, 6 Months and 21 Days

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:59 PM

This problem is so widespread with all FG Turbo ute's im surprised it hasn't been fixed.

I had this rectified at Strapp Ford in Burwood Vic. They insulated part of the handbrake cables and the noise was gone for a good 12 months. Its back now however.

The resonance from the exhaust manages to viabrate the hand brake cables and make that noise. If you pull the handbrake up when its happening you'll hear to disappear immediately.

There are not enough brackets holding this exhaust up and it moves too much. This is also why people who put custom exhausts on find the noise goes as well. Different mounting points and different characteristics of the exhaust noise.

You're ute's not a lemon, its just that Ford are skint and can't be arsed fixing the problem.

I recently had Q Ford in Brisbane try and convince me the noise was from worn handbrake shoes, and that adjusting them makes it go away. In reality, it makes the noise 50% less but now the handbrake doesn't hold as it should.

Wankers charged me $130 for it too, even though its still under warranty.

Ring Strapp Ford in Vic and ask how its fixed,

Edited by schmick325, 21 September 2011 - 10:01 PM.

09 FG F6 Ute, Number 0113
07 ML63 AMG

#25 OFFLINE   mickgibbo

mickgibbo

• 41 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:39 AM

Good Morning,

I have had Ford look at the noise and they replaced a muffler under the glove box. This got rid of the noise, however the cause of the noise is still there, the car vibrates at approx. 500 or 550rpm. This has highlighted other smaller noises. I have also had people comment on this when in the car.

I will clean the car out soon (so Ford cant blame the pen in the glove box etc) and take it back.

Long and short, they fixed the noise but not the cause. Could this be a tunning issue.

Regards

#26 OFFLINE   sexual harrassment panda

sexual harrassment panda

I see a red door and I want to paint it black

• Donating Members
  • 6,119 posts
    • Time Online: 117d 4h 35m 54s
  • Joined 5 Years and 29 Days

Donator

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:59 PM

I think the problem is it's only doing 500-550rpm, bit low isn't it.
  • IsaacSugg likes this
383.4Rwkw Stock (Modified) Turbo

You like glee? Get out. Now.

#27 OFFLINE   mickgibbo

mickgibbo

• 41 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:18 PM

I think the problem is it's only doing 500-550rpm, bit low isn't it.

Good question. I will check the RPM's on my car, the XR6's at work and my fathers G6E Turbo and see where they idle.

I'd like to think the mechanics at Ford would have looked at that.

#28 OFFLINE   sam_rigger

sam_rigger

• Inactive Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
    • Time Online: 14d 4h 55m 36s
  • Joined 3 Years, 10 Months and 8 Days
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

anyone had any luck solving this?

Mine is starting to sh*t me now. I tried tightening the hand brake cable as suggested but hasn't made a difference. ...
2010 FG XR6 UTE, Ego, 18" Rims, Tint, Bluetooth, 6 Speed Auto, LED Interior Lights and Footwells, FPV Floor Mats, Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4490's, Magnaflow High Flow Heavy Metal Cat, Custom 2.5" Catback Exhaust, XR8 CAI with K&N Filter, Whiteline Swaybars Front and Rear, Removed the dust cover Frisbees....more to come...

#29 OFFLINE   UEB302

UEB302

• Inactive Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
    • Time Online: 10h 31s
  • Joined 2 Years, 7 Months and 16 Days

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

Well my fg turbo ute has done just under 1500km and the diff is kactus,drops heaps of oil and its currently in getting the complete diff replaced by macinerney ford here in perth.
They have been awesome about it and gave us a free hire car, turns out the diff housing is porous so it wont hold oil.
A bit spewin because I havent even given it a hard time yet,havent even been near the redline.
Wouldnt call it a lemon although it does seem we get all the crap luck with cars(geez ive never heard of that happenng before) is what we usually get.
Hope there is no more issues
So if your in perth go to macinerneys in belmont because they are great to deal with,dont go to range ford because they are retarded.
Mind you we got treated like crap from range ford so we got a free dash mat,floor mats and a tonneau cover because they suck so bad :sungum:

Cheers
  • Shyfrd likes this

#30 OFFLINE   Shyfrd

Shyfrd

Turboless

• Donating Members
  • 6,147 posts
    • Time Online: 72d 9h 11m 27s
  • Joined 3 Years, 8 Months and 24 Days

Donator

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:08 PM

Lol! Awesome score..was that through range or the other dealer giving you those for range piss poor service?

Edited by Shyfrd, 09 July 2012 - 06:08 PM.

• UEB302 likes this

Saying a car is for going from A to B is like saying sex is just for reproduction.

#31 OFFLINE   UEB302

UEB302

• Inactive Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
    • Time Online: 10h 31s
  • Joined 2 Years, 7 Months and 16 Days

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

Yeah we got the ute new through range ford and it had a scratch on the bodywork,gouge on the console(replaced under warranty),was filthy dirty,had oil and crap on the rocker cover and just looked like poo for a brand spankers car.So me and the missus raped them for free stuff,we also got front mud spats ,and water proof seat covers.
When we went to pick the ute up after complaining we told them not to fit any of the free stuff and they had fitted it all(stupid) once the free tonneau arrived,I got home to fit it and it was the wrong one! They got the correct tonneau in and when I went to fit it the damn thing was already ripped,omfg.So yeah we got lots of free stuff,mud spats,seat covers,floor mats,dash mat,tonneau, pretty much every accessory.
All the free stuff was from range ford.
I think the ute looks better without the sports bar and a free tonneau cover.
Picked the ute up yesterday from macinerneys and its all good,they even called the missus to see if everythings ok today.
Now that's what I call service.
Big thumbs up to macinerney ford in belmont.
Just teething problems and I shall move on.
Cheers

Edited by UEB302, 10 July 2012 - 11:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users