Front Diff Bush "upgrade...."

cobramad

• Member For: 18y 9m 1d

Hi All,

Having had our Territory Ghia Turbo for a few years now, and after carrying out my list of mods, I have now found out what too many big launches can do to your front diff bushes, in particular the most forward bush. Having looked at whats involved (work and lots of it!) and the lack of suitable uprated components to use, I have decided to try a different but not unheard-of route.

I have modified a large flat washer to sit hard against the surface of the front bush so that when I fill in the voids with Sika-Flex, it stops it pushing out and allows me to keep the Sika in place til it dries. Its particularly nasty stuff, in that it stains skin for a considerable time, even if you use all sorts of cleaning agents not designed for contact with the skin

Yes, I know it sounds very dodgy but given that the Sika is waay tougher than the soft rubber that is used from factory and has significantly less compliance, I expect more control and quite possibly a little more NVH, yet this is preferable to the diff banging around after a quick launch, destroying whats left of the other bushes, which so far are largely unscathed..

I also have a contact who rebuilds bushes for our rally cars in solid rubber, very similar in design and execution to those from Nismo and Ralliart but those really firm up and control the movement of engines, gearboxes and the like... Its just that I really cant be shagged suspending the motor and dropping out the front diff, just to fit more of the same sh*te soft bushes

So, after a moment or two of deliberating, the lazy option won out and the final result will reveal all.

Keep ya posted!

Mal K

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 13y 8m 24d

Hey Mate,

I had mine replaced from Fraud a while back, so I am safe as long as I don't floor it off the lights, good thing the wife drives it daily and I only get it on longer drives!

Apparently its a huge job and needs to drop suspension to rectify and at the time mine were being done, there was no after market for the front, only rear.

Keen to see pictures!

Wear some gloves when using sika to keep the mess to a min !

Cheers

Kosti

• 5 months later...
  • FORD FORD FORD
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 1m 3d

A friend of mine has a brisbane based business that makes bushes from small to ones for roller coasters, he's able to make these bushes in a different material if we want.

Will see him this week and post more info prices options

• Member For: 15y 3m 18d

You may want to do some research as a nolathane bush will transmit road noise to the cabin. Superpro have a nolathane bush which is designed to stop road noise but it's up to you. I had my front diff bushes changed to stock ones as Ford wouldn't put nolathane bushes in (under warranty). Maybe your friend can copy the Superpro ones as I think they have holes drilled around them.

Edited by George66

• Member For: 18y 9m 1d

The sad thing is that after all the hard work replacing bushes that fail, you end up with more of the same bushes, which for those of you who have seen and felt them, are very compliant and soft. While this means little NVH, they would soon go the same way as the original bushes.

Im not saying that this method of filling the voids is the be-all or end-all of repairs, its just trying a different approach to solve a rather large problem. Nolathane actually sell special void-filling bushes for the rear diff, it wont be long before they have the same for the front bushes. Unfortunately for me, its now a replacement job if and when the Sika-filled bushes fail completely.I will try to find a few pics, lets hope they are on this computer.

• 4 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Member For: 7y 4m 30d
On 1/19/2012 at 3:21 AM, cobramad said:

The sad thing is that after all the hard work replacing bushes that fail, you end up with more of the same bushes, which for those of you who have seen and felt them, are very compliant and soft. While this means little NVH, they would soon go the same way as the original bushes.

Im not saying that this method of filling the voids is the be-all or end-all of repairs, its just trying a different approach to solve a rather large problem. Nolathane actually sell special void-filling bushes for the rear diff, it wont be long before they have the same for the front bushes. Unfortunately for me, its now a replacement job if and when the Sika-filled bushes fail completely.I will try to find a few pics, lets hope they are on this computer.

did it work mate? I have heard of guys doing it to the rear with good results..... one bloke did it and towed a caravan across australia on holiday for long time and checked it when he got back it was all good......

I think I will have a crack at it as the stock bushes are rubbish..

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 24d