Fg Sub "fix"

RHR

• Member For: 17y 5m 27d

By reversing the polarity, all you done is 'move' the sound wave 180 degrees either forward or backward. Think of it as increasing or decreasing the time delay on your receiver at home and you're on the right track. A speaker is pistonic in operation, wiring it out of phase will not cause any physical problems to it. Quite often tweeters are wired out of phase due to the passive crossover design that is used already pulling them out of phase.

Problems like this usually occur when your 'fully sik' types install full range 6x9 speakers on the parcel shelf and then install a sub down the track. When 2 equal frequency sound waves interact you get boosting or cancelling at that frequency. The same thing happens when you have a twin sub setup, and reverse the polarity on one of the subs.

I'm assuming the rear speakers are on the parcel shelf, and are playing full range, and so is the sub. So you getting a lot of cancellation if they are out of phase with each other. Reversing the polarity will bring them back in phase and therefore you should be getting cleaner bass. To test if this is true, you could try reversing the phase on the rear speakers, or just unplugging them altogether.

Edited by Gonadman2

• Member For: 15y 4m 16d

By reversing the polarity, all you done is 'move' the sound wave 180 degrees either forward or backward. Think of it as increasing or decreasing the time delay on your receiver at home and you're on the right track. A speaker is pistonic in operation, wiring it out of phase will not cause any physical problems to it. Quite often tweeters are wired out of phase due to the passive crossover design that is used already pulling them out of phase.

Problems like this usually occur when your 'fully sik' types install full range 6x9 speakers on the parcel shelf and then install a sub down the track. When 2 equal frequency sound waves interact you get boosting or cancelling at that frequency. The same thing happens when you have a twin sub setup, and reverse the polarity on one of the subs.

I'm assuming the rear speakers are on the parcel shelf, and are playing full range, and so is the sub. So you getting a lot of cancellation if they are out of phase with each other. Reversing the polarity will bring them back in phase and therefore you should be getting cleaner bass. To test if this is true, you could try reversing the phase on the rear speakers, or just unplugging them altogether.

Essentially correct. The crossover of the lower frequencies in the "other speakers is an important issue. But they are full-range (except the tweeters) The Subbie should not be out of phase with the other full range speakers. The same signal coming from 2 different speakers out of phase will cancel each other or reduce the recoverable bass component. I would not have thought that this is a faulty install by Ford. If you consider your home theatre, it's the same thing. When you add a subbie, the amp changes the low frequency response to the other speakers and the subbie crossover point can be changed to suit the other speakers. Sounds like an interesting thing to try though I must admit! I think the Premium system I had on the BAII was far better than the FG, but one of the reasons was the moving of the speakers from the parcel shelf to the rear doors. That was done so rear seat passengers were not "blasted" when the sound was up a bit high.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 8m 6d

im heading out to the car now, got to give this a try - ive been very dissapointed by the (lack off) performance with the premium sound so hopefully this adds some bang for the buck :buttrock:

• Resident idiot.
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 6m 30d

A better amp and a different 8" sub is the answer. Changing polarity doesn't do anything.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 5d

Just tried to switch the wires around to see if it makes a difference....I removed the clip insert in the plastic that hold the clips and was unable to removes the wires without pulling the wires from connectors, am I doing something wrong?

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 8m 6d

I had the same problem - removed the latch and couldnt get the wires out - got the sh*ts with it last night and will try again today - if any one has any tricks to getting them out let us know

• Member For: 13y 2m 9d

You need to use a thin screw driver and lift the small clips inside holding the plugs in (I did mine opposite side to wires) BUT don't waist your time dose nothing I was testing the same song changing the wires over from one side to the other and found it did jack s#%t I agree with dre you want better bass by a new sub