Zf Servicing Melb.

scottay

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 28d
4 hours ago, adams355 said:

You can buy this (below) and get some gulf western SYN-TS 20L for around a $150 if you search around distributors. Then just pay a transmission place to do it and you supply parts.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ford-non-genuine-ZF-6HP26-6-Spd-Automatic-Trans-Steel-Sump-pan-Conversion-kit-/191480556178

I have fitted these on 2 cars and are great. Next oil change you dont need to drop the pan.

Use this kit as it has the better gasket. Same as posted just better gasket.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ford-non-genuine-ZF-6HP26-6-Spd-Automatic-Trans-Steel-Sump-pan-Conversion-kit/201433334380?hash=item2ee65cc26c:g:r4YAAOSwFnFV~g1v

Also change mechatrons unit, as pan has to be dropped if it starts leaking.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ZF-6hp26-ford-bmw-Automatic-Transmission-Mechatronic-Plug-Sleeve-six-speed-OE/191650661670?hash=item2c9f450526:g:Ow4AAOSwDNdVvfsE

I would suggest getting the Gulf western. Penrite doesnt have a good track record for ZF oil.

If your car hasnt done a lot of Ks say 100k, buy 20L GW, drop the oil and pan , fit mechatronics, install new pan , gasket, filter and mechatronics unit. Then after 1000ks drop oil and refill. Then wait 50k and repeat. After another 100k change the filter.

If you car has done many Ks I recommend a flush..

Oil Capacity
Dry Fill Capacity – 9.4 Litres (Not including Cooling System)
Service Fill Capacity – 4.5 Litres (Give or take 1/2 Litre)
Cooling System Capacity 0.5 – 1.5 Litre (Depending on Setup)

Fluids which cause Damage
Penrite ATF SYN Automatic Transmission fluid was recommended for this transmission however in December 2010 Penrite released a statement to all customers stating that ATF SYN would no longer cover this transmission. Some workshops who continued to used the oil have reported the industry where it caused clutch squawk on shifting. (Download a PDF Version of Penrite’s Statement Here PENRITE ATF DEVELOPMENTS)

Edited by arronm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member For: 11y 3m 19d

Sorry I just noticed the footer in your previous post where you already mentioned this! Cheers.

I also noticed the statement you linked from Penrite in 2010 stating their product was no longer suitable for ZF...

..looking at their "new" Penrite ATF BMV it appears they now do have a suitable product and they categorically say it's a suitable replacement for the genuine Lifeguard originally used by the ZF?... so I'm guessing this is what my mechanic is using..

In any case, as you guys suggested I'm better to go the Gulf Western anyway, especially considering mechanic charging me $200 for the penrite which is all of 5 litres for the service compared to $150 for 20L of Gulf Western!

• 8 months later...
  • Member For: 11y 3m 19d

long time between posts, but thought I'd give an update on my ZF, last year I got my ZF serviced by A & B Automotive they used the genuine ZF oil. Cost was around $660 including labour... definitely improved my ZF and now handles the ~370rwkws a lot better. Would recommend them to anyone considering ZF service. 

• Like 1