Bad Rev Hang

plcains

• Member For: 13y 9m 27d

My manual Fg turbo rev hangs badly when changing gears, say if I shift at 2000, when I have the clutch in it will stay at 2000 until I let the clutch out. Also, it tractors badly when I back off the throttle it will slowly decrease revs until 1500-1750 and drive along as if I have my foot on the throttle untill I get to a hill or touch the brakes. It doesnt happen all the time, but is becoming more and more often. Taking the advice from the forum and ford I had the throttle body cleaned (didnt have the time myself), which made no difference. I've also reset the TPS. Any ideas? Is this a warrenty issue? The car has 60k on it.

Edited by plcains

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 3m 1d

unfortunately all the manuals are like this and cannon be tuned out. its fkin annoying because they should be as fast as the autos. the computer has way too much delay. useless.

• Member For: 13y 9m 27d

Even if it doesnt do it all the time? Sometimes I can turn the car off and the hanging and tractoring will go for a while. Sure makes things interesting when your driving around a car park at 1500 revs with your foot off the throttle. :w00t2:

• Awesome...
  • Member For: 13y 9m 14d

My revs hang between gear changes. Not a huge amount but enough that it matches the revs well when shifting thus making the shift smoother. I figured this was normal...

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 19d

I have a manual and can say mine def doesnt do it, maybe its a thing on newer models? mine is a July 09 build.

I know if you dont touch the accelerator and let the clutch out the rev's will increase to stop the car from stalling, but what your describing doesnt sound like this

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 27d

My manual Fg turbo rev hangs badly when changing gears, say if I shift at 2000, when I have the clutch in it will stay at 2000 until I let the clutch out. Also, it tractors badly when I back off the throttle it will slowly decrease revs until 1500-1750 and drive along as if I have my foot on the throttle untill I get to a hill or touch the brakes. It doesnt happen all the time, but is becoming more and more often. Taking the advice from the forum and ford I had the throttle body cleaned (didnt have the time myself), which made no difference. I've also reset the TPS. Any ideas? Is this a warrenty issue? The car has 60k on it.

You cannot reset the TPS, the hold the throttle flat and crank the car over technique, resets the cam phasers not the TPS. The TPS self tests when the car is powered up. The throttle blade is cycled open and closed and the PCM checks the values for both TPS sensors against the expected values in the tune. If theres a problem it will throw the light and code.

Your problem sounds like an air leak post throttle blade. Has your car been tuned? Dodgy Idle control parameters can also cause revs too hang

Definitely a warranty issue mate!Sticky throttle situations can be exactly that....My advice is take it back to Ford and get it checked out, but my money's on the stepper motor.

Not a sticky throttle. If the PCM commands a change in throttle blade angle and doesnt get it, either open or close it will throw and code and under certain conditions force an engine shutdown.

unfortunately all the manuals are like this and cannon be tuned out. its fkin annoying because they should be as fast as the autos. the computer has way too much delay. useless.

No they dont and no it cant be tuned out if theres a mechanical issue such as an airleak a causing it, providing the car is mechanically sound the Revs can be tuned too drop as quickly or as slowly as you like. Revs hanging on a shift is NOT normal

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 3m 1d

lol mate there is not one manual that does not hang on through the gears, everyone knows this. plcains your car may be running lean at idle, sounds kinda like its hunting.