Fg Xr6T Brake Upgrade? (New Buyer) :-)

STAINLESS again plz

• You've changed man....
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 3m 28d

Hi all...

Firstly great forum here and glad I found it.

I previously owned a BA XR6T ute and have recently traded it in for an 2010 FG XR6T ute.

Lovin the vehicle and the the better response Im getting from it however all is great on the go side of things.

Stepping on the middle pedal at the moment is not having as much of a positive impact on me.

With everyone heres combined experience and expertise I was after some opinions on a decent upgrade package for the rig.

She has 20" Dark Argents also.

Was reading about shudder issues with the 6/4 Brembo kits so wondering if that was solved if I went in that direction.

At the moment the cheaper the better, I know sounds pov but I only have certain amount of funds and they will probably

be spent on the right pedal and my custom tray + toolboxes that I'm fabricating.

Anyway any advice and links/contacts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers...

-Ben

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 7m 4d

speak with Karl at hiroperformance.com.au and get a set of good pads and a new set of Rotors, easy to deal with and if there are any dramas, also a new set of brake lines to the calipers might not be a bad investment too. $1500 should see a nice upgrade and return on investment, I think the Brembo option might be a little more than you want to spend and will involve no modifications just bolt on and drive 4000xs should be a nice update. Ask karl he will tell you.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 7m 4d

Try better tyres mate.

Bigger brakes will not stop you any quicker at suburban speeds it's the tyres.:flameman:

John.

Not sure if better tyres will improve pedal feel. Tyres are definitely a good option to consider when the ones you have are ready to be binned, but try some brakes first or even some brake lines and see if the pedal feel is improved, a quick bleed might also be the cheapest option for you and a new set of pads if you want to be really cheap. Tyres should be the next update when they are due.

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 11d

You need to be more specific as to what your problem is with the stock brakes.

Is it:

Pedal Feel ?

Fadeing ?

Performance ?

Also what do you use the car for ?

The stock brakes are find for normal driving, but for track or extensive towing, they can be a bit wanting.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 5m 21d

2 weeks ago I hired a FG XR6 N/A . Clocked up 1,500 Km with 5,000 km on the clock when hired.

I found the brakes soft and undefined. They worked well with no vibration but left me without confidence.

I own a ex FG chaser with Brembo 4 / PBR. The brakes are sensational. Smooth with well defined progression. At legal speeds they are so much better than standard it is a joke.

You want better brakes , 6 by 4 Brembo's are a bit over board. 4/PBRr's are fine. Standard on Typhoons and GT's

Guest XR09
  • Guests

The 6/4 Brembo's come up on the classifieds 2nd hand now and then. Usually around the 3 to 3/12 grand mark, I would not pay any more than that.

They are a sensational mono block caliper on the front, and a two peoce block on the rear. With decent rotors (non Brembo) and pads, it's a perfect braking package that bolts strait on to your car.

The shudder is not only with the Brembo's, because it's not the brakes that causes it, or is the problem.

The Fords are well boosted and use a thick brake fluid. You do get a long pedal but they will work pretty well even when they are red hot.

Change your fluid for something like Penrite sin and your pads to bendix Ultimate..... And save and wait for the Brembo's to come to you.

I did not notice one bit of difference going to braided lines in feel or braking power. But they look good.

• You've changed man....
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 3m 28d

Thanks everyone for your replies. Knew I came to the right place :-)

@Zap the issue for me is hoping out of my 100,000+ kms BA XR6 and then stepping on the brake pedal in my FG just feels I

have to push it further and harder for the car to slow and stop. Just feels soft under the foot.

Also with my 20" Argents the stock brakes are looking a little sad in there lol.

If can pick up secong hand brembo 6/4 kit for 4k then Ill be happy.

If they dont come around I shall take unclewal's advice and speak to Karl @ Hiro with my 4k.

Edited by S3XR6T

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 2d

Thanks everyone for your replies. Knew I came to the right place :-)

@Zap the issue for me is hoping out of my 100,000+ kms BA XR6 and then stepping on the brake pedal in my FG just feels I

have to push it further and harder for the car to slow and stop. Just feels soft under the foot.

Also with my 20" Argents the stock brakes are looking a little sad in there lol.

If can pick up secong hand brembo 6/4 kit for 4k then Ill be happy.

If they dont come around I shall take unclewal's advice and speak to Karl @ Hiro with my 4k.

mate you wont need 4 pots for the rear for the ute I dont on mine no point wasting money where its not needed.. I have 6pot brembo fronts, with bigger pbr calipers and 328mm rotors on the rear and the braking performance is awesome!!! I tried to get braided hoses for the rear through race brakes sydney but they could not help me out.. I brought all my stuff brand new and cost me around $3000 all up.. if you want some pics on my ute just let me no and I will post them up for you cheers

Edited by CHLAXN