The Btr 4 Speed Auto Thread.

razbagz

• Member For: 13y 10m 16d

The aim of this thread is to compile an information factsheet and experience register on the 4 speed that graces the early XR6Ts.Ill start with a few Qs that hopefully can be easily answered:

What are the telltale signs of a tired 4 speed?

What transmission oil should I use?

What power (on avg.) can this box handle? I dont mean the one that broke standard, or the freak that held up to do 10's. An agreed power figure would be nice.

How and why does a transmission cooler extend and increase longivity of 4 speeds in regards to handling extra power?

When a rebuild is in order, what modifications and how much should I be looking at on average?

If I was to take my car to the dragstrip, should I use tiptronic to improve my time? and is it fine to stall it up at the tree with generally no ill effects?

So there is a few, I think I roughly know the answers to most of these but I want to get the ball rolling with this.

Cheers,

Raz

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 11m 1d

At the drags I slot it across to performance (dont actually change gears myself) I figure seeing as though im inexperienced that's one less variable to stuff up.

My btr is standard and I stall it up to roughly 2200-2400 but I dont really look at tacho whilst doing so.

Alot of people say not to boost in 4th but I do with no ill effects so far.

I use castrol TQ95 in my btr as it is recommended and havnt had any dramas, ive changed it two or three times in the 30k ive had the car.

I have an oil cooler mounted in between the intercooler and condenser, wich obviously keeps the oil cool and therefore it doesnt burn and lose its lubricating properties etc

Most people experience flaring on gearchanges when there btr is about f*cked

Cheers Blake :beerchug:

Edited by possum

• Member For: 13y 10m 16d

At the drags I slot it across to performance (dont actually change gears myself) I figure seeing as though im inexperienced that's one less variable to stuff up.

My btr is standard and I stall it up to roughly 2200-2400 but I dont really look at tacho whilst doing so.

Alot of people say not to boost in 4th but I do with no ill effects so far.

I use castrol TQ95 in my btr as it is recommended and havnt had any dramas, ive changed it two or three times in the 30k ive had the car.

I have an oil cooler mounted in between the intercooler and condenser, wich obviously keeps the oil cool and therefore it doesnt burn and lose its lubricating properties etc

Most people experience flaring on gearchanges when there btr is about f*cked

Cheers Blake :beerchug:

Whoa so when you slot it into performance mode and dont change gears yourself, it changes them for you???

Yeah guys throw any info you think might be of any benifit for other forum users, im very new to the forum so im sure if I ask nicely one of the mods will merge topics if you see them!

• Three pedals are better then two..
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 29d

Great Idea, if it takes off I'll pin it to the top of the driveline forum.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 4m 27d

can these boxes be shift kitted, stronger bands ? I was told there isnt much out there for them, unlike the old Expensive Daewoo 4 speed where there is heaps of aftermarket gear for them...does this sound correct.....

• Three pedals are better then two..
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 29d

No. Well theres enough to get them into the 10's what more do you need?