around the time I finally did this to the stock LSD

omDBywd.jpg

so I took it to Driveshaft Balancing Services in Malaga

C6Dm4p2.jpg

who did this for me

t2x44cL.jpg

4VBk3Uq.jpg

EhuBbQQ.jpg

I'd actually managed to break off three teeth that were happily sitting in the bottom of the diff housing

9Jj4WPI.jpg

Thankfully the original crown and pinion were still fine

L0M59FU.jpg

So Driveshaft Balancing Services got me back on the road after only a single day (cheers Blake and Wayne) and it's driving great again, there's actually less clunks now since the old diff was pretty flogged out.  Early downshifting from 3rd to 2nd (with a bit of a rev match allowed by the ZF) was flawlessly smooth, a real pleasure after having it clunk.  That could also be the worn out uni joint they replaced at the same time though.  The diff is quiet when cruising along at all speeds too which is great, no whining.  I wouldn't know it was aftermarket.  It can clunk going to drive/reverse when parked up but that's small fry.  Performance wise I'm yet to give it any real sh*t but I'm sure the Eaton "Detroit Trutrac" should be up to the task.  

Interesting fact, this model with the helical gears need both wheels in contact with the ground to work, otherwise the wheel in the air gets all the torque.  Only an issue if you are racing around corners enough to lift the outside wheel though, which I've never done.

A big advantage and part of my decision was also the idea that I cannot wear it out unlike the factory clutch based LSD.  I don't know much about diffs and as I found out when looking at options the Truetrac is just solid helical gears.  Diff oil changes are now just recommended to be 80w90 mineral based - no LSD friction modifier additive any more either (that is actually detrimental to this LSD's performance).

Diagram and video of the unit in question for those that aren't familiar:

z4vi89F.jpg

• Like 3

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 1m 17d

Welcome to #truetraclyf Steve, they're a Good Thing.

One thing I noticed with the truetrac is how quickly the rear end snaps back into line when you're good and sideways. 

Not hard to get used to, but if you're not expecting it, oppy lock can quickly turn into "Oh cock" ;)

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 5d

Yeah thanks for the heads up mate.  I've read that the behaviour will have changed, I'm yet to experience the conditions but have it in the back of my mind...will need to look out for it.

So far just solid traction :)

• 1 year later...
  • Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 5d

Not much news on the car front really, doing less kays now though thank god!  Think it's up around 361,000km or so :thumbsup:

Glad you enjoyed the read Simbad!  It's been a long love affair that's for sure and doesn't look like stopping any time soon.  Hopefully one day I can chuck a built engine in!

• Like 2