Massive Understeer At The Track, What To Do?

xr_velocity

• Member For: 16y 4m 3d

Thought that "around" -1 degree may be the max you would get on front camber, but it's DEFINITELY worth the ask. Mine only managed -1 per side.....but it will still be a GOOD improvement that will help the front tyre life and grip.

Those settings and their suggestion of extra caster....all good.

Always glad to help and pass on helpful info. Knowledge rather than poking around in the dark.

Let the baseline tuning/testing begin. :spoton:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 5m 26d

Haha, I wish!. I need to get the turbo cartridge rebuilt and an oil cooler before I can get back to the track :( Last time the oil pressure dropped off and the oil light came on in the midday session on about the 4th lap at the end of the straight at the creek. Oil probably got too hot and thinned out dropping pressure.

There is bugger all info on engine oil coolers on this site that I can find. Will have to wing it.

• Donating Members

Driving to work this morning, the whole 3km trip anyway, the steering immediately felt lighter than previously no doubt due to the extra camber in the front. The front end definitely felt a hell of a lot more glued to the road.

A 90 degree bend coming in to work I will normally hit at 55 and understeer mid corner was now gripping all the way through so much so that I could even steer further into the corner, the front end has so much more grip it is like chalk and cheese.

I have no doubt it is attributable to the bushes and the alignment. The rear end still just follows the front wherever it wants to go. Obviously a 3km drive at residential speeds is not going to really tell the story of these changes, but so far it is a huge improvement.

Can't wait for the next track day to really get some heat in those tires and give it a bash.

Thanks to all who have given advice. I will update this thread once I have hit the track again.

• Donating Members

Forgot to mention, I have not noticed any more noise in the car due to the stiffer bushes, but I have not had the car up to highway speeds either. Tottling around town shows zero difference in NVH.

Guest XR09
  • Guests

Its all just one big balancing act. And I love it.

I can get mine to do 10m circles. Take the rear bar right off and raise the rear ride hight. But the cost is very nervous at 8 to 10 tenths. Nervous under brakes and change of direction.

I guess that is one of the joys of running the Teins is that they are so adjustable. What I use at QR wont work at say Mnt Cottens hill climb. Say Oran park to Eastern Creek for you southeners.

And for mine that's what makes suspension set up so much fun. It's not like the motor where you just bung on more boost till it blows. Constant low cost tinkering. So many variables.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 13y 7m 10d

V8 super cars run 20deg + caster along with 5-6 deg - camber on the front to enable turn in with their spool rear diffs .. :spoton:

I did some experimentation on the front of my ba ute running standard springs and shocks with standard ride

height biggest pedders adjustable front sway bar hardest setting left med right used one camber correction kit supplied also by pedders the instructions that came with the fitting kit for the camber/caster kit says that using there kit the bracket that bots up for the shims to go in is = to +10.5mm compared to the standard bracket...(this is a camber correction kit used when you lower your car from factory height)

sitting down with some:beerchug:and some paper did some equations and worked out if I used the Pedders bracket in in the front with 10.5 mm of shims & the factory bracket in the rear with no shims I managed to dial in around 14deg+ caster and 2.5deg- camber :3gears:

this worked for my setup... (my camber/caster readings prior to this... caster Left +1.2 Right +0.7

Camber Left -0.4 Camber Right -0.2)

finding some one to set up your falcon with as much caster as you can get will go a hell of a long way to solve most of your under-steer worries ....high +caster settings increase camber on turn in with out effecting tyre wear :beerchug:

lets face it trying to get 1800Kgs to turn in :roflmbo: but the secret lies with caster set up the more the better....Just my 2Cents :blaah: